Changing dash / instrument cluster bulb?

Moderator: Moderators

jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Changing dash / instrument cluster bulb?

Post by jimsym »

Aim to do it this weekend as one has gone, so figured i'd do the lot.

I take it its a screen-off job? (Or even nose fairing?)

Just wondering if it is fairly straightforward, or if there are any tips that might help?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Changing dash / instrument cluster bulb?

Post by cargo »

So long as you can get hold of which ever one it is needs changing just pull it out replace the bulb and push it back in again.

A very little squirt or WD40 or similar might help
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Screen most likely needs taking off, yes, and possibly nose cone, which bulb you changing? My bike doesn't have a screen on so I can tell you without any hassle. Though nose cone off is so simple (2 either side, 2 at mirrors and 2 underneath) you may as well just do that
jimsym

Post by jimsym »

ross46 wrote:Screen most likely needs taking off, yes, and possibly nose cone, which bulb you changing? My bike doesn't have a screen on so I can tell you without any hassle. Though nose cone off is so simple (2 either side, 2 at mirrors and 2 underneath) you may as well just do that
I actually thought why not just do them all, so it sounds like nose-off is probably the smartest approach.

Just had a look at the parts diagram here:
http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/ka ... 1999&ca=GB

Is that 2 for the speedo, 4 for the rev counter and 1 for the coolant indicator?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

2,2 and 1 respectively, the 4 are used in the idiot lights
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

if your going to take the top section of fairing off.................you don't need to remove the screen
jimsym

Post by jimsym »

ross46 wrote:2,2 and 1 respectively, the 4 are used in the idiot lights
Got it thanks, so x3 92069B and x2 92069.

I take it the tachometer is supposed to be slightly brighter than the other two dials?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

nor the mirrors for that matter
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

the bolt for the mirrors goes through the top of the fairing where their is the screen brace. they need to be removed if your removing the whole nose cone
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

NO

Just remove the two bolts attaching the brace to the frame and the whole lot lifts away..........................
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

ok, thats another way of doing it and possibly alot faster in the sense that their are less bolts. though may be more difficult to reposition. Will try it next time i have to remove my nose cone.
Cargo, just to set the record straight. i have no doubt in my mind that you know your stuff, that is obvious, just the attitude you use when giving information sometime comes across as rude, aggressive and arrogant. First part of the above post "NO" as an example. Their are two ways of removing that part of the nose cone, your way, the two lower bolts of the screen brace attached to the frame OR you can remove the 4 bolts that hold the mirrors on and remove just the fairing itself with no brackets. Their are two ways and your above post comes across as "NO-you are wrong, my way is the only way" i agree with alot of the points you are trying to make with the "why dont you look at the bike first" type replies, but the way you express it makes it come across as rude. that's my only problem. You have contributed a great deal to this forum with your experience and zxrworld members are grateful for that but they are not grateful for being patronised. i think the above statement is not out of line or unfair. If you have a problem with what is said above please send me a PM where we can discuss it out of the eyes of all the members of zxrworld. and good luck jimsym, any problems just post another comment and we will try and help you out.