tail fuse keeps blowing

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

tail fuse keeps blowing

Post by ross46 »

Ok, what could cause a fuse to keep blowing? My taillight and clocks have gone twice and im running out of spares
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: tail fuse keeps blowing

Post by KwakKwak »

Dicking around with the parking lights maybe? :pmsl

Dodgy batch of fuses maybe, electrics are witchcraft and wizardry as far as I'm concerned.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

You may know nothing about wizardry but you sure have excellent mind reading skills
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

Exact same thing has been happening to me in the past week, gone through 3 fuses it's lucky I work at Halfords and get them cheap!

Haven't had the time to take things apart yet so have just been replacing them when they blow! Assume it's a short somewhere
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Haven't touched the parking lights! Though I can see why you would think so... Basically my tail fuse keeps blowing, 3 in a week, then my main 30 amp fuse went, ive got pissed off and put a 15 amp fuse in and left it until the weekend when I'll go through all of the wiring and sort out the faults, could it be a dodgy regulator? Too much power coming through?
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

Would have thought more likely a short or something as if it was the regulator, your other fuses would be going too
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

right add in 2 main 30amp fuses gone in 1 day, one blown, one melted, any ideas, if I move the handlebars I can sometimes get something so could it be shorting at the ignition switch and blowing the other fuses? Thanks, really need some help
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Have you removed something or installed something recently that required a little extra wellie, and caught / stripped a small section of wiring, seeing as you're blowing various fuses, that must point to a specific section of the wiring, like I say me and electrics :smt017
Good luck.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

As said in other post to cargo, although I 'dont know anything' i managed to sort it all, I'll post some pics, brake light-wire had melted on exhaust then shorted out, main fuse, regulator wiring burnt out, and running like crap the loom had rubbed through, so sorted them quickly, at the moment the bike is fully stripped, loom in my workshop being redone