Clutch switch wire snapped, how to fix?

Moderator: Moderators

callum93
My Bike: zxr400

Clutch switch wire snapped, how to fix?

Post by callum93 »

Hi,

my clutch switch has a wire snapped from it due to bad cable ties tugging at it and in order to start, i basically have to hotwire my own bike:/ what i am wanting to know is, how do i open or remove the remaining wires from the connector block in order to reattach the broken wire to the box that plugs into the clutch switch? if i had a working camera i would get some pics but if you look under your clutch lever, there is a connector block with 3 wires going into a small box under the lever. it is one of those wires that has unfortunately snapped. any advice on the best way to go about fixing/ reattaching it would be much appreciated. i was hoping to pop the broken piece of wire out the connector box and reattach the end to the wire if that makes any sense to you. will go have a crack at it now and see if i can figure it out in the mean time.

cheers
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Clutch switch wire snapped, how to fix?

Post by banner001 »

well you can just bypass the clutch switch altogether if you want?

if not, what you will need to do is see if you can lever the brass pin out of the connector block (they "lock" in there with a small barb so you might not be able to remove it), then buy some replacement pins off ebay and if possible crimp/solder it back on to the existing wire. if the wire is too short you will need a short (couple of inches) length of wire and use that to bridge the distance.

or if its a bit of the connector at the ends (its a 3 pin connector, so either side) you can do the pikey thing, cut off that bit of the connector so you have a 2-pin block, crimp/solder a connector to the free wire, and just attach it without using the block. a bit of insulation tape and you will be all good.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003