how do you bypass fuel pump relay

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

how do you bypass fuel pump relay

Post by ross46 »

ive heard of racers doing this, not sure on the reason but i know the fuel pump relay is somehow linked with the ignition so how do you bypass it as im making just an ignition loom out of the race manual as my bike wont start and i cant be arsed with pissing about anymore with 17 owners worth of bodge jobs. thanks, Ross
Last edited by ross46 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuzx4r
My Bike: zxr400sp race bike

Re: how do you pypass fuel pump relay

Post by stuzx4r »

Hi, the easiest way to bypass the relay is to cut the black with a blue trace and the red wire going to the relay and join them together.
This will let the pump run as soon as the ignition is turned on. (a good keep you going trick)

If your going to make a full race loom its just a + and - to the pump with the + switched from your handlebars.

Good luck
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

right, ive worked that bit out, done a race loom to test the components, might lend it to help people... anyway, on the race diagram youve got a ground wire (black and yellow) and a switch live of the starter solenoid (yellow and red) so i understand how to get the pump working. the problem is that the black wire which controls all the ignition system passes through the fuel pump relay then to everywhere else (coils, cdi tacho etc.) so what wires do i join to be able to let the ignition circuit work without the fuel pump relay? thanks, feel like im in the matric with all these lines, letters and numbers on the wiring diagrams!
stuzx4r
My Bike: zxr400sp race bike

Post by stuzx4r »

Hi, you can just ignore the Black (live) at the relay, this is there to trigger the relay while the bike is running, with this not connected to a relay, the rest of the ignition circuit will still work in the normal way.

Is your bike a H or an L, and are you using it for road or track?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Re: how do you bypass fuel pump relay

Post by ross46 »

L model and it was to remove it from the circuit as the bike wasn't firing