Electrical problem

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Doalot
My Bike: Ducati 996

Electrical problem

Post by Dr Doalot »

Hi All

I have (to me) a strange electrical issue that I could do with some help with

I went out for a ride last night and on the way back realised that I have no tail light or instrument lights

I have checked today and the tail light 10A fuse is OK (i replaced it to be sure) and the bulbs look OK. The brake light and front light work OK

What else is there to check? The only thing that has changed is that I replaced the battery

TIA

R
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Electrical problem

Post by banner001 »

the rear is a two fillament bulb, best to replace it and check if that sorts it...is your numberplate light or front city light working?

it sounds like the fuse, as all those components are connected through the fuse, you can try using a bit of thick insulated wire to bridge the fuse connection and see if your lights come on, if they do its the fuse, if not its somewhere else.

as all your instrument lights are off i would be looking at the connection from the fusebox to the light switch, then light switch to ignition, and lastly ignition to rear lights.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dr Doalot

Post by Dr Doalot »

Hi Mate

no the city light (ie first setting on the light switch) doesn't seem to do anything

R
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=15674

All the symptoms you describe result from a fault running from the fuse box to the light switch...it's either a wire break, a defective switch or a bad fuse.

Do your headlights work fine? If so it can only be an issue like I described above...time to get the multimeter out.
Dr Doalot

Post by Dr Doalot »

Hi Banner

I decided my problem must be in the switch as i was getting nothing from the last connection before the wires disappear into the loom, so I decided to take it off to look

One of the screws was frozen so I had to drill it out

Took the switch apart and the starter button flew out. Think I lost a bit as I only found the switch and the spring and i think there is another bit so i will need a new switch off ebay..

Cleaed the switch up and still no joy

So now I need to look at the wiring diagram to see where to go next. I looked in the electrical section and you have kindly posted a nice colour version (the one in the pdf of the manual i have is useless) which i downloaded from photobucket. But when i try and zoom in it loses resolution and you cant read it.

So my question is do you have a high res version you can let me have please?

Cheers!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Pm sent
Dr Doalot

Post by Dr Doalot »

OK after lots of titting about with meters etc decided to go back to basics and just got a replacement switch

Problem solved