Alternator

Moderator: Moderators

Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Alternator

Post by Ewetea »

I recently had problems with a flat battery and traced it to abnormal readings across the alternator windings. I took the generator cover off and removed the stator. The joints between the stator windings and the three leads going to the rectifier were destroyed, presumably as a result of a flashover. I checked the windings and found that there was continuity, showing that it was still functional. However, the continuity did not occur across the wires as I would have expected. There are three pairs of wires, which I numbered as: (1,2) (3,4) (5,6). Continuity occurred between: 2-3, 4-5, 6-1. This suggests to me that the windings are connected in a "delta" formation. But the diagram in the manual indicates a star formation. Thus I would expect a tail from each pair to be connected together, with the other tails being linked to the three output wires to the rectifier. I would be obliged if any electrical bods out there could comment on this situation.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Alternator

Post by banner001 »

Firstly, have you determined that the alternator is outputting the correct amount of AC volts between the three output wires?

Should be 45V AC at 4k rpm across the three wires.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

Thanks for the reply. I intend to replace it with a decent alternator so that I only install it and fill the engine with oil once to achieve a result. I was just curious at the apparent discrepancy between the manual and the item with regard to the connections of the windings.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ive never had a brand new reg/rec so i cant comment, but the two i have here all work perfectly fine despite the resistance readings being different from those in the manual.

its not worth the hastle trying to repair a reg/rec, check to see if the alternator is working correctly, if it is, then change the reg/rec, if with a new reg/rec the battery still wont charge (happened on tinks bike) then the wiring is at fault.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003