Stick mod coil newbie wiring issue

Moderator: Moderators

tricky-rich
My Bike: tomos moped

Stick mod coil newbie wiring issue

Post by tricky-rich »

Good evening everyone of the zxr community.

I will keep the introductions short and sweet and will properly introduce myself in the newbie area!

I'm building a track day/fast road use bike out of my old zxr 400 and will start some sort of build thread when I get some time

My question is I have done a race loom except left the barrel and fuse box in,
The bike ran for a few seconds ( no fuel tank on) before I did the stick coils but now only seems to PPP and bang post stick cool mod.
I have read the various stick coil wiring threads and have wired mine differently.. I have wired mine with all the Reds common and the 1/4 &2/3 as pairs is this potentially my issue as I see other bridge through the coils in series?
Picture of how I wired mine attached

Regards
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Stick mod coil newbie wiring issue

Post by banner001 »

tricky-rich wrote:The bike ran for a few seconds ( no fuel tank on) before I did the stick coils but now only seems to PPP and bang post stick cool mod
thats because you have wired them wrong :D

you need to wire the pairs of coils in series, read morimans guide - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=10796&hilit=stick+coil+guide

it will tell you all you need to know, did it like this on my zxr400 track bike, and on my fzr1000, both run fine, no issues at all.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
tricky-rich

Post by tricky-rich »

is there any particular reason they need to be wired like you have showed as i got that wiring diagram off another forum and it implied that it all ran fine? all be it not on a zxr. For my own personal interest does the zxr have a different coil system than other bikes?
tricky-rich

Post by tricky-rich »

Well I can unequivocally say ... I had them wired wrong! Lol seems strange as I copied that wiring diagram of another forum should have just searched here before I started! Thanks all!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

no worries, if you ever get stuck on zxr400 issues again there is a clue in the forum's url :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003