fuel pump

Moderator: Moderators

jaybe
My Bike: ZX 4 G

fuel pump

Post by jaybe »

hi ive just had the fuel pump in bits to re solder small earth wire :smt001 , any way I thought I would wire it to a loose battery and when you put constant power to pump it only clicks once ?? shouldn't it run constantly or does the rectifier git a pulse feed ?? just if I keep on off feed it will click to the contact :gamer ive cleaned the contacts with fine paper . cheers jaybe :smt017
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: fuel pump

Post by banner001 »

the fuel pump gets its signal from the fuel pump relay, that in turn gets its signal from the signal sent to the coils, i.e. your fuel pump pumps at a rate that changes as your revs rise.

if not it will click once as power is applied and wont reset until you remove the voltage.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ManxMan
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by ManxMan »

From the manual after I had fuel pump problems.

The pump operates when the starter button is pushed
on or the engine is running.
When fuel level in the float bowl is low, the fuel
pump operates to supply fuel into the float bowl.
When the fuel reaches a certain level, the fuel pressure
rises, and the fuel pump stops.

Page 15.30 explains how to test the fuel pump and that when connected directly to a 12 v supply the pump should work until a certain level of pressure is reached. No mention of a signal that controls the rate of pumping.
jaybe

Post by jaybe »

can you send me the link manx man for the pump testing please cheers jaybe :excited
jaybe

Post by jaybe »

I was checking the pump the way it tells you in manual , but as I said it only does one click ( thud sound :gamer ) instead of constant ( thud thud thud thud ect :excited ) until live taken off that s all I want to know oldman or obiviously you put finger over inlet . so like a car electric pump runs until float bowls are full ( causes pressure ) then cuts out :smt003