L1 coils

Moderator: Moderators

TurkishJordo
My Bike: ZXR 400, L1, UK Model

L1 coils

Post by TurkishJordo »

Okay, so I think I've just killed my baby, here goes:

I unplugged the primary wires to both coils, did a resistance check on both and got 5.0 back - the limit is 3.5 so I decided I needed new coils - note: the bike was running before I did this test - I plugged the coils back in (could not remember which wires went to which coil for the life of me, however luckily I had taped the red and green together for the left coil, and the red and black for the other coil) - so I plug them back in, no idea where the red and black went on, also the green and red - crank her over and nothing - no spark, just cranking

My question is, does it matter how the red and black go on, and the red and green? - or have I just fried my cdi unit?:(

:ffs
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: L1 coils

Post by banner001 »

any red wire and the green wire go to coils 2 and 3, any red wire and the black wire go to coils 1 and 4.

if they are crossed the wrong way they will still spark, but in the wrong place in the suck-squeeze-bang-blow sequence.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
TurkishJordo

Post by TurkishJordo »

Strange, I did just that and it seems no spark now, bike has been faultless in the last year apart from this weird 6k rev hesitation, I put it down to coils or carbs - now no spark :smt019
TurkishJordo

Post by TurkishJordo »

RESOLVED:

Tip 1: - Never buy cheap alarm units from fleaBay! :smt018
Tip 2: - Ignoring tip 1, never wire the alarm to your ignition live (immobilizer) - as this will end up backfiring and immobilizing the good guy :smt017