guernseydan
My Bike: ZXR400 1998

Project Bike

Post by guernseydan »

I've been given an old bike that someone else brought and could'nt get going

I've got a limited knowledge mechanically and im new to bike electronics

I've charged the battery and have 12v through the 30amp fuse

12v at the starter motor direct from the fuse

12v at the stop run rocker switch(both sides)

also 12v through the bodywork to the neautral(earth) on the battery. Is that normal?

no lights or dials are on the front of bike at present, but when i try to start it nothing happens, no noise no rear lights

Where do i start?

Thanks in advance
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Project Bike

Post by Miles »

When you press the start button you should hear the starter relay click, if not start with that.

Also make sure it's on netural
guernseydan

Post by guernseydan »

Cheers Miles

No Click in Neutral also

no voltage at the horn or front lights but voltage at the start rocker switch and most of the wiring looms ive checked

Cheers
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

put the bike into neutral, ignition on, hit the starter button the bike should fire.

as yours isnt i would look at bypassing the starter solenoid as my first starting point, for this you will need to remove the LHS rear panel so you can access the solenoid, pull back the rubber covers on the two main terminals and with the ignition on bike in neutral use an insulated screwdriver to short out the terminals, it should visibly and brightly spark (you are basically shorting out the full battery so it will be noticible) and the starter should turn.

if the starter turns then your issue is with the solenoid, if the starter doesnt turn then either the starter motor is knackered, or you have no continuity between the engine and the -ve terminal of the battery.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
guernseydan

Post by guernseydan »

Cheers Banner

I have 12V at the starter between the +ve cable running off the soliniod and the -ve on the battery

When i tried to bypass the soliniod it didnt spark so i guess i have no continuity between the engine and the -ve terminal of the battery.

The only cable i have on the -ve of the terminal goes directly to the framework

There is no voltage from the positive battery terminal to the negative(earth) on the starter

Starter turns over if i run cable direct from the battery
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Have look at the earth point next to the crankcase breather pipe
guernseydan

Post by guernseydan »

Is the earthpoint next to the crank-housing a twin cable

i have some sort of sensor with a connection onto the crack but there is no continuity back to the -ve from either cable

the cable is sheathed but seems to be in quit poor condition
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Yes, it's a ring terminal that bolts too the 'top' of the engine. A few inches from that is a bullet connector on the same cable
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

guernseydan wrote:Is the earthpoint next to the crank-housing a twin cable

i have some sort of sensor with a connection onto the crack but there is no continuity back to the -ve from either cable

the cable is sheathed but seems to be in quit poor condition
it looks like you probably have a dead starter motor. you can test this by removing the cable that attaches to the starter motor and placing it on the engine, when you short the starter solenoid you should now get a spark...this indicates that there is a problem with the starter motor only.

i was on jersey last weekend for the holidays 4 heroes event and i had the exact this happen to my mates hyosung harly-knockoff, the main connection from the terminal to the first carbon brush had snapped so there was no current flowing through the motor. we soldered the brush back onto the terminal, then locktite'd the terminal into the housing, before splicing in a backup feed wire into the copper wires for hte carbon brush, drilling an exit hole in the side of the starter motor and adding a ring connection so it took thermal stress off of the broken copper wire...at 2am...when pissed...but it worked so he could ride :D

incidentally this is me on my mates 600 bandit chop with a full 2.5" of ground clearance on the island:-
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003