Wireing loom help

Moderator: Moderators

Jon-R987
My Bike: Zxr400 L1

Wireing loom help

Post by Jon-R987 »

Hi. I have an zxr400 L1 jap import I replaced the loom that was in a really bad cut up state with an L5 loom. Only to realise they changed the looms. I can't afford to get another loom. As the new one is mint. The engine is not in the bike at the moment but everything else is connected up (not any engine wires) I have the 4 fuse fuse box. When I turn the key nothing happens no lights no poped fuses nothing at all. Is this down to there being no engine in and not complicate a circuit. Or is it down to the L1 ignition barrel rear light loom fuse box or clocks loom or any of the relays or solinoids. Can some one tell me what I have to replace on the bike other than loom to make it work. Or a mod to the loom.
I can upload pics of both looms if needed.

Cheers Jon. (Sorry for spelling)
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Wireing loom help

Post by banner001 »

As long as your +ve battery is connected to the starter solenoid and the solenoid is connected to the loom, you have a good 30a fuse in the solenoid, and your loom is connected to your ignition barel, your handlebar switches are connected, and your loom is plugged into the -ve terminal of the battery (not the thick black cable), then when you put the ignition on, you should be able to use your horn...can you?

Let's start there first :D this will ensure that you have a circuit to and from your ignition barel.

Ignore lights and dials at this point as you will need a L5 fuse box with your loom and maybe some speed mods to your wiring or cdi, so check the horn and see if when you turn ignition on does your water temperature needle start to move slightly?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Jon-R987

Post by Jon-R987 »

Ok as it stands at the moment no nothing. But my ignition barrel has spade connectors. And I forgot what way on the old loom. I wired it as per the manual and nothing. Hear are some pictures of new loom with connections in. And old loom with one or 2. It's not letting me load them as 2 big I will put a link for photo bucket.
Jon-R987

Post by Jon-R987 »

Just to say the old loom did work fine. Just only problem was it would never rev past 10K I did the pink wire resistor mod did everything with no nothing working. http://s592.photobucket.com/user/Jon-R9 ... t=3&page=1
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

When I replaced my loom on my L4 to one from an L9 I needed to swap the fuse box for the one with 7 or so fuses like the one in the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-zxr4 ... 1c54725e27
Jon-R987

Post by Jon-R987 »

Just an update. Got power as far as I know. No horn but when ignition on temp gauge moves up slightly and stays. Will clean horn left and right switch gear and see if I get horn. Problem was solenoid corroded and ignition barrel wires corroded.