Battery Draining out - needs help!

Moderator: Moderators

gudofredo
My Bike: tomos moped

Battery Draining out - needs help!

Post by gudofredo »

Last year I purchased a zxr400 import from japan. Rode it maybe around 5 times and one time after a ride when i was going to start the bike battery was dead. So I had it charged at a local shop and they said that batt. was still good. When batt is newly charged it will start fine but after using the bike maybe after 5 rides batt. dies out already. So I decided to buy a brand new batt. but after a few rides it does that again batt. dies out. then I can't start the bike. Any idea on what might be the problem with my bike? Any suggestion or comments will be mostly appreciated. Because everytime I use my bike I fear that it won't start again after I turned off the engine...help pls!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like something is draining the battery, an alarm system or light, or something shorting somewhere? put a multimeter on the battery and see what happens? see if the voltage is dropping?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Could be a rectifier/regulator problem or even a generator problem
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

Does sound like an alternator/generator fault but if ya lucky it may be a reg/rect problem :smt017
Own the best-Kawafuckinsaki
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

well it does sound like it's not being charged when your engines running so it almost has to one of the previous two problems mentioned. Starter motors put a massive drain on the battery but it's ok because the charge is usually replaced during the ride. This doesnt appear to be happening.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
gudofredo

Post by gudofredo »

Hi guys. Thanks for the quick responses. I was suspecting that it may be a reg/rect problem, but one time with the old batt. I got to ride it for 4 weeks straight without batt. problems, it's just that one ride when I experienced traffic that my batt. went out again(traffic meaning crawling traffic stop & go, stop & go). So I thought that the rect/reg might be working fine for it lasted 4 weeks. That's when I changed to a brand new batt. but after a few rides...not starting again. Well just letting you guys know...Thanks I'm just going to have it checked at a local bike shop. Or if you guys have tips on how to check and replace rect...it would be mostly appreciated......Be Safe Guys!!!