zx400 l5 wiring

Moderator: Moderators

joecanvin
My Bike: derbi gpr 125 4t 4v

zx400 l5 wiring

Post by joecanvin »

Hi guys, i have a zx400 l5 project, i have a wiring harness that is a mess and needs hooking up, does anyone know who to do this, or could give me some photos and instructions of what things are and where they go. Awful with electrics

thanks in advance, im Joe by the way
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: zx400 l5 wiring

Post by banner001 »

i did a series of pictures on here (sticky'd i think) that show what bits of wiring should be connected up to what bits of the bike, L5 is slightly different in the fusebox area, but overall its 99% the same.

it depends on how bad your loom is, start off with obvious things - indicators, headlights, rear lights, coil packs and then see what still needs hooking up
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
joecanvin
My Bike: derbi gpr 125 4t 4v

Post by joecanvin »

I think my loom is pretty shoddy, i might not even have all the electrical components :/ how do i view these pics?
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

In the top right hand corner of this page is a "search" option. Type in "L5 wiring diagram", and on page 2 of that display is the article by Bannerman of the full wiring diagram and subsequent diagrams showing parts that can be deleted for racing. Start at the end and check the basic diagram that is necessary to run your bike and then work up, checking those parts that were removed. Wires are colour coded so they can be traced. I think the only difference for the L5 is the fuse box which has screws rather than rivets holding it together, and the red wire has a white line. Ideally you will need a multi-meter to check for volts when switches are operated, but a bulb with wires either side of the filament, one connected to the wire being checked, and the other to the negative earth, will illuminate to demonstrate that volts are present.