Starter button no start, not even a click!

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Starter button no start, not even a click!

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Hello all!

My bike doesn't want to start from the button. I can't even bump it. Even when i press the starter you don't hear the relay click. Dont worry, the killswitch isn't on and sidestand isn't down ;)

If i bypass the relay the bike starts fine no problem, so there's no actual issue with the charging/firing electrical side of things. I also tested the relay and works as it should, does click when power supplied to it and the fuse is fine.

Which leaves me to think its either the starter button or killswitch causing the problem. I looked in the manual but can't seem to find a check of any sorts, how would i go about fault finding these components?

The other thing is I have a giraffe datatool veto evo alarm immobilizer system, so have no idea if this is the issue. It shouldnt be as it bleeps to say the alarm is disabled and i did re-set it just incase. (all other functions work like service mode, adjusting sensitivity of nudge etc)

Thanks!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Starter button no start, not even a click!

Post by banner001 »

if it was the killswitch then your bike wouldnt turn over ever, if its set to kill your bike is dead, so it cant be that. you have an alarm fitted and as i have no idea what they have done to the wiring loom the info below is a general L model guide:

1. test your 30A fuse in the relay and make sure its ok.

2. most common cause is a break in the white main power wire, this goes from the starter relay to the ignition so test for continuity.

3. if thats ok reconnect the ignition wireing, put your key in the ignition but leave it off, disconnect RHS switchgear, you should get continuity between the white wire from the starter relay and the brown wire in the RHS switchgear ONLY when you switch the ignition to ON.

4. get a multimeter, disconnect your RHS switchgear and test for continuity across the two black/red wires with the starter button not pressed, then pressed. if it goes from no continuity to continuity then you know your button is fine.

5. one of the black/red wires from the switchgear connects to a red wire in the loom, test for continuity between this red wire and the red wires on either of your two coils, if thats ok...

6. the other black/red wire from the switchgear goes to the fusebox, check that for continuity

7. test the yellow/red wire from the fusebox to the starter relay for continuity.

if all these tests come back positive/OK, then you have a fault with your fusebox.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Starter button no start, not even a click!

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply banner!

I checked the fuse and the terminals with the relay and its all good. I just checked for continuity across the 2 black/red wires and its infinite when open and closed so I guess this is the problem. Is there a particular range of Ohms i should pick though?

Ive not checked anything else yet though.At the moment Im trying to split the switchgear but theres one screw that I cant quite unscrew because its sunk into a little tunnel and i don't have a phillips head thats long and thin enough to get to it. My thinking is maybe the inner side of the button may need a little clean or theres some dirt in there stopping the circuit completing.

cheers