Replacement wiring loom question...

Moderator: Moderators

dave9118
My Bike: zxr750J

Replacement wiring loom question...

Post by dave9118 »

Hi all,
I bought a 1992 zxr400 UK model a couple of years ago and have spent some time getting it back together and running smoothly. However, I've been plagued with electrical problems caused by several existing repairs and old damp wiring, so I found a replacement loom for a later model (L9) from Germany on fleabay. For £25 I thought 'what the hell' and I've received a replacement loom in very good condition.

My problem is this; I found that this version only has one headlight plug, so I've cut the other plug off the old loom and spliced it to the new wiring. No problem there. Everything seems to work as it should BUT there is no plug for the headlight relay! Do I need to cut and splice the relay from the old loom, or can I survive an MOT without this attachment?

Any advice appreciated ;)
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Re: Replacement wiring loom question...

Post by Dominik »

Well we don't have a relay therefore in Germany. Do you have a switch to turn on the light manual? If so the relay isn't absolutely necessary... I run it like this without problems
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

Dominik wrote:Well we don't have a relay therefore in Germany. Do you have a switch to turn on the light manual? If so the relay isn't absolutely necessary... I run it like this without problems
Well, it seems to work ok without the relay so I'm not absolutely certain what purpose this serves!
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

Ok, so update on this most frustrating issue...
today I thought I'd splice the headlight relay into the new loom, which should have been straight forward, but its not!
I found that the wires going into the fuse box are a different order to the UK loom, and theres extra! Also, the wiring that goes to the R/H swithgear is missing two wires. No wonder it isnt starting!

Has anyone had similar issues replacing a loom with one from an import??
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

... also the fuse boxes are different. Should I replace that??
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Try chatting to banner, he's quite clued up on the electric side of things.

Failing that maybe cut your losses and track down a uk loom? Couple on eBay at the minute for under £30
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

Ive only seen one UK loom on ebay, but another good one in Germany, providing the wiring is actually the same!
The loom I have from the L9 is very good. The problem with buying an older loom is that its probably crap like the one Ive removed. I think I can adapt the L9 loom but not sure if I should. I think the issue is that its from an L9 and not an earlier bike!
It turns out that the headlight relay is because we use 55w bulbs in the UK and everywhere else uses 35w, so the relay eases the load on the circuit.
More fun and games!
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Well least that's the relay issue sorted.

Could try repairing your old loom with a vist to kojaycat

Carry loads of connector blocks and crimps.

Got a kit off them last year and rebuilt my loom with all new connectors and crimps
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

Ok. So there's more lives going to different places on the new loom too (ffs). Now, the bike starts, but the indicators make the rear light flash. I'm getting really pissed off. I even priced up a new loom. If I was keeping the bike I would spend the £180, but I'm not unfortunately!!
Take the loom apart time again :smt011
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

Ok got it! Credit where its due, I used Banner's colour wiring diagram which was a big help. The new loom has three live feeds (brown/black, brown/red, brown/white) as opposed to the old loom which was simply brown or white. I've had to join the three browns together and feed from the live feed from the junction box. It now works. Its probably wrong, but it works!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

my pleasure, glad its all working.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003