ZXR electrical problems (main fuse blowing)

Moderator: Moderators

Dutch_ZXR
My Bike: ZXR400 1991 / DRZ400 2005

ZXR electrical problems (main fuse blowing)

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

Hi all,

I bought a ZXR400 "91 back in January and it rode perfectly (apart from it sometimes going out of gear or barely going into second)
Then a few weeks back when I had stopped at a gas station it was electrically dead when I tried to start her again. Back at home I found out the main fuse had blown. I then replaced it and was able to ride for another 2km before it blew again.

When I changed it for the 2nd time it blew instantly after switching the key and it did that until I had run out of fuses.

Last saturday I disconnected most of the cables and slowly attached them one by one. I thought I had narrowed it down to the side-stand switch as it blew as soon as I had attached it (note: it had been running idle for about 5-10 minutes while doing this). I then disconnected the side-stand switch and was able to start her again with a new fuse, but 5 minutes later the main fuse blew again :smt017

Does this sound familiar to someone? I know the previous owner has replaced the rectifier, has it died again? Does it even still start with a broken rectifier?

TLDR; She still turns on for a few minutes when she is in the mood and at other moments she just blows the main fuse straight away after turning the ignition on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_qRS1fhzPM

I have made an appointment for the 15th of March at a bike shop to have it looked at, but would like to solve it myself if possible.
Dutch_ZXR

Re: ZXR electrical problems (main fuse blowing)

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

Nobody any ideas? confuddled
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

you are obviously grounding the bikes wiring somewhere...where that is i cant say, your gonna have to remove all extraneous bits from the bike and take a look, i have a colourised electrical diagram on the main site that you can use, i would be checking around the white wire to the ignition, the reg rec, alternator, areas that look stressed, bent, worn etc...

its obviously down one of the wires from the main fuse to the rest of the bike (not masivly helpful as that includes almost all of the bikes wiring), but by trial and error you will get there...as for what secific bit of your individual bike is causing it...i and everyone else will have no idea...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dutch_ZXR

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

I had another look today and am about 95% positive it was the rectifier. I tried it first with the old one and it kept blowing. I then attached another second-hand one I had bought and it stayed on.

I was able to have a 15 minute ride without the main fuse blowing constantly. Tomorrow I'm going to ride for 1 hour and see if it does blow then. If not, my problem is solved :excited

EDIT: Rode about 80km today and had no issues. It was the rectifier.