New looms! New looms for everybody!!

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

New looms! New looms for everybody!!

Post by banner001 »

First off, i want to make a sincere heartfelt thankyou to Kevh1070 who did 99% of the work and will be the person to contact about these looms, im just the pretty young face that gets to take all the initial glory :excited

I sent my loom to him to remove the original "special" connectors (CDI/reg rec etc.) a week or so ago, so when i turned up at his place at 9:30am i was expecting not a lot...but he's only gone and bloody done most of it!

all that was left to do was the rear light sub loom, a few wire runs and connectors on the main loom and then wrap it all...when you do all that you get:
a brand new, loom!!

Now more details, what he has done has to make the known problem wires (e.g. the white wire) from 3mm wire, all the high current wires (red/brown/alternator etc.) are made from 2 or 3mm wire which is thicker than standard. He has shortened some of the cable runs, tried to remove as many splice joints as possible, and has relocated some of the splice junctions in order to move them around the loom into areas that are going to be less prone to corrosion/water ingress/water pooling.

The non-special connector blocks are all new, all new bullets/micro bullets/spades/rings the lot. All connectors are properly crimped with ratchet crimpers to ensure a solid joint, the splice junctions are wrapped in a high grade electrical jointing tape, once the loom was finished all of the joints were strengthened with amalgamating tape, and then a proper non-sticky PVC loom-tape was used to bind the loom thats more flexible than the sticky one on the original. Lastly the loom is reinforced over the heated areas with corrugated plastic tube.

Cost for a loom is £200 if you send your old loom (for the corrugated tubing and special connectors) and £250 if you dont have a loom, or want it with all new connectors (mine were prefectly servicible). You will also need to let him know what year or bike you have, and if its a special import (i.e. i know the Italian looms are different to UK for the L models, the L5 onwards are different from L1-L4 etc...).

This loom is awesome, can not thank Kev enough, if you need one it is well worth the money. He might start doing race looms, but thats a conversation you would need to have with him yourself...cant wait to go an enjoy my bike when its all built now :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Re: New looms! New looms for everybody!!

Post by banner001 »

A quick video of the pre-wrapped loom

Kevh1070
My Bike: Zxr 400 l3

Post by Kevh1070 »

Hi all.
Thanks to banner for uploading the above video clip for me, top bloke ! :smt001
This is purely a info job for all,

Ok so this is the loom I'm building for my bike currently, at that point the build was approx 30hrs in taking into account materials ordering within time span.
Mods to loom consist of white, brown & black/yellow cores upgraded to 3mm where applicable
Repositioning of a majority of inline joints to lower stressed areas & removal of as many inline joints as possible within the loom. In short the majority of individual circuits now have a single inline joint, -VE reduced to 4 inline joints & brown/white cores to 1 inline joint.
Upgraded cores to all parts of the light dipped/high circuits to 2mm.
Cores to s/stand switch, neutral light & oil pressure light sleeved with heat resistant sleeving & rerouted on my bike to run externally of casings. I've done this as previous works by unknown trapped the cores between the casings, also they where failing due to prolonged exposure to heat making the cores brittle causing intermittent open circuits.
All arms off of main runs to connectors etc are amalgamate tape wrapped along with further support wraps & connector end also tape wrapped. Overwrap is non adhesive pvc loom tape.
As of now I've just completed the build including continuity & cross contamination testing on all circuits, so approx build time is 40hrs total & a fair whack of cable/crimps etc :excited
Thanks again banner
Regards Kev
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Can't get hold of kev. Can I ask anyone thinking of sending him a loom to hold off or PM me instead.
Icecool
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Icecool »

Is he not doing looms anymore?
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

I would say so. I paid him for one and he took the money and ran.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

I'm going to take mine and make a loom jig, I've already got all the diagrams and have done many other looms before, when I get up and running I'll let everyone know.
Icecool

Post by Icecool »

Been looking through the pics above and it look like he just had a board with components written on it at the appropriate lengths? I've deffo got wiring issues so need to get the loom out ASAP and take a look.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

That's pretty much all a loom jig is, the better ones will indicate where to put in splice points etc. But it's not that hard.

However, making a loom and making a good loom are 2 different things :smt003
Icecool

Post by Icecool »

Did you ever get anywhere with this Banner?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Kev went off grid for a while but he is back now.

I will have to see if he is doing anymore again, I can also make looms though, I've just made one for my zxr250.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Any sign of my loom banner?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Pm sent
Ginge1210
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Post by Ginge1210 »

Hi banner are you still doing the wiring looms
Thanks