1994 ZXR 400 Headlight Relay Blowing

Moderator: Moderators

Rokkin
My Bike: 1994 ZXR 400

Re: 1994 ZXR 400 Headlight Relay Blowing

Post by Rokkin »

Here is the underside of the junction box I removed.

Here is the top view.

If the left hand relay is the h/light relay and Japan used a lower wastage bulb then if someone used builds that are rated too high could this be the problem?

Also, I understand. It's almost an impossible task to fix this problem without having it in front of you. I need your knowledge to go with my fingers.

I would just consider replacing the loom but I'm concerned that it will open up another can of worms. Depending on the extent of any modifications that have been done to the wiring on this bike.

I'm going to take your advise and pull the bike apart and trace all of the wires. Unfortunately I have less knowledge of these things than I do fingers so this is going to be quiet the learning curve.

Thank you for all of your help.
Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ok, to my eyes, that looks like the junctionbox/fusbox thats described in the manual as the UK spec L4 fusebox, it shouldnt use the relay thats on the right hand side at all for any of the connections, here is a diagram showing what wires should be connected to what fuses (according to the colours in the manual, bear in mind though that you seem to have some odd colours in your loom), now you need to figure out if you have a uk loom, and LHS switchgear, or if its an import loom and switchgear.

if its an import switchgear then you should have continuity between your LHS high beam switch and your headlights directly, if its a UK loom/switchgear then you should be needing a headlight relay, or maybe your bike takes its headlight feed directly from the reg/green wire as indicated in my diagram.

my diagram is assuming that your starter circuit is on the left of the drawing (and not included) and that the fuses for the lights are on the right hand side (i.e. not looking from below directly onto the PCB, but flipped 180 degrees so you can see the fuse holders, and the relays on the top row). in my diagram the square blocks are the fuse holder pins, dashed lines represent connections made by fuses, and dotted lines represent lines made on the back of the PCB, you can see that there are no connections between the relay and the high beams, and that the board has space for 3 relays...if your high beam was connected to a relay it would be the relay that should be in the middle and is missing...so your high beams are either powered directly from the switch to the high beams, or you need to be using a seperate relay so its switch to seperate relay that pulls power from the junction box to the headlights...

those are your options with regards to your headlight side of this junction box.

UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

Thank you for the diagram. It really helps to understand where the wires should go.
The Blue/yellow wire I connected the jumper to goes directly to the LHS here.
I have checked for continuity at the switch.
The three wires going to each bulb are Red/Yellow, Red/Black and Black/Yellow.

I'm now removing the tape and cable tidy from the rest of the loom to check the wires but I haven't found any relays. Looks as though the wires go directly to the RHS and LHS respectively.

Just for my clarification. RHS and LHS are Right Hand Switch and Left Hand Switch. Hope I'm correct in that. Otherwise I could be misinforming.
There is continuity from the Red/Yellow wire at the High/Low beam switch to the headlight directly.
Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

Redundant information.

Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
Last edited by Rokkin on Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

I have removed the wiring loom from the bike to try and get a better understanding of where the wires are going to.
The Blue/Yellow wire that I connected the jumper to runs all the way to the High/Low switch and then power seems to go directly to the headlights via a Red/Yellow wire.

There is a join in the Blue/Yellow wire about 10 inches from the junction box and runs to a six pin connector here.

Which connects here.
Continuity seems good. If power runs through the low beam 10 amp fuse and then straight through the Blue/Yellow wire to the switch. Then straight from the switch to the headlight I'm at a loss where the problem might be since the fuse isn't blowing.

When the key is turned on I get power to the 10 amp low beam fuse. I connect a jumper to the side of the fuse holder that doesn't have power and then connect the fuse. I connected the other end of the jumper wire to the Blue/Yellow wire and I now have headlights though they seem dim. Like they're not getting as much power to them as they should. Also my headlights come in as soon as I turn on the ignition. Which I can live with.
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

From the junction box:
White/Blue wire - horn
Red/Green wire - 4 pin connector cdi
White wire - Rec/Reg, starter relay(?), ignition
Blue/Yellow wire - high/low beam switch (left hand switches)
Red/Blue wire - right hand switch, ignition, cluster/dashboard (9 pin connector)
Brown wire - ignition, rear brake switch, reg/rec, cdi (6pin connector), flasher relay, clocks (6 pin connector), clocks/dashboard (9 pin connector), right hand switch (green 6 pin connector), horn.

I don't know which way power is supposed to be traveling through these wires but I'm trying to work that out using the information provided here and the diagram in line.

The wire has a factory connect which looks good and a soldering join which is questionable.
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

Looking down on the fuse/junction box with the 10 pin and 8 pin connectors to the bottom I've traced the connection. Fused as well as connections on the pcb.

Brown wire - makes a 10 amp fused connection to an unused pin. A pcb connection to the 10 amp tail fuse and then to the red/black wire in the same 8 pin connector block.

Blue/yellow wire - a pcb connection to a diode/capacitor/ressistor? (Not sure what it is) Then a pcb connection to the top right (when looking down at the fuse holder pin side of the pcb) relay. It also makes another pcb connection another "ressistor" and to a wire in the 10 pin connector.

White wire - makes a 10 amp connection through the fan fuse and then to the white/blue wire in the same 8 pin connector.
It also makes a pcb connection to the 15 amp high beam fuse. From the fuse to the red/green wire in the same 8 pin connector.

That is what I believe is correct for the 8 pin connector and the fuses.

If the relay I have circled in the other photo (the relay I pulled the cap off of) is an internal h/beam relay then I'm at a loss as to how it connects to the lights at this point.
It seems that the relay that the blue/ yellow wire goes through has the job of preventing the headlights from coming on before the bike has started.
The brown wire also goes to the same relay. So, is the relay waiting for power from the rec/reg to close the circuit allowing power to travel to the headlights.
It seems to me something is causing this relay to fail.
Could a surge from the reg/rec cause the relay to fry but not blow a fuse?
Or am I way off?

Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Ok, i think you have a bike with no light switch on the RHS switchgear, i.e. your lights are always on.

I also think that you should make short wires and connect your connector block to the junction box like this...

that should fix your problem.

I dont think your red/green wire is doing anything, and im pretty sure it shouldnt be connected to the CDi. Your white/blue wire should be going to the radiator fan switch and then to the fan, not the horn.

I assume that you only have 1 headlight bulb?

you mention that currently your blue yellow wire is going through a diode and towards the relay. i think thats causing your issues, that blue/yellow wire should be connected as in the diagram im showing here, i.e. it should be connected to your low beam fuse.

you mention a 6 pin connection near the starter solenoid, thats your fuel pump relay...the only reason i can think for having a constant power feed into it is to mimic the pulsed feed that normally comes from the CDi, in other words, to make your fuel pump operate constantly all the time, and ignore the CDi telling it when to click on and off.

as for your high bean fuse, you can remove this as you are just pulling power directly from the reg rec, there should be no wires connected to this fuse, indeed you can just remove the fuse.

that relay you pulled the cap off has nothing to do with lights at all, its your starter lockout relay.

what you have is a loom that has a certain set of connections, and a fusebox thats looking for a slightly different arrangement of inputs, make the necessary small bits of wire, attach your loom to the junction box using these wires and let me know what the outcome is.
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

Hello again,
I've not been able to get on here the last couple of days.
My bike has duel lights. Well, one lens with two separate headlights. I will make the short wires and connect them near the end of the week and report back. I'll also double check to make sure I have discribed the correct wire locations. Just want to make sure I've not given any misinformation.

I'll need to get another working Junction Box but will wait to see if the change in wire locations causes the lights to work correctly. With the constant power going to the fuel pump is this likely to cause any issues?

I ordered a new fuel tank from Corby Kawasaki for £150 and they sent me the wrong one. I emailed them first to see if it was correct yet it doesn't even look like my tank. The intake cover where the hoover hoses connect is actually a part of the tank where as mine is separate. Trying to sort it out but they're slow gettting back to me.

Also would the ZXR 600 clocks work on mine? Mine are KPH with the MPH sticker. My L3 already had the clocks changed to the UK ones but I love how the ZX6 clocks work/looks.

Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

i would make the wire connections theat i mentioned first, just in case a different junction box has different routing...this will ensure that your lights are wired up correctly at least.

as for clocks, anything can be made to fit, if you have the wiring diagrams...however that will be something for you to make yourself :D also i can see that you have the pink restrictor wire, so you are going to have to do the necessary mods otherwise you will be limited to 10k rpm in all gears if you just change the clocks...

as for the fuel pump, as long as your float bowls are sealing correctly there should be no issue.

the tank you have been sent must be a H model tank:

whereas what you need is an L model tank:
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

The tank was advertised as ZXR 400 L1 - 1999. I send them an email asking if this fit the 1994 ZXR 400 L4 and I was told all of the L tanks were all the same. I emailed them only because the picture didn't look correct compared to the info on it. This is the one they sent.

Strange you should say my bike will only rev to 10k rpm because that is exactly what it does. I was going to look into this because my 93 ZXR didn't have this issue.
You're saying it's a type of restriction? Well that's something else to sort entirely but after I get the headlights to work as they should.

Thank you for the input on the clocks. As wiring is my weakest point when it comes to working on bikes / cars etc I think I'll just swap the clocks for a UK set of 400 clocks.

Your comment about the float bowls is rather interesting as well. When I purchased the bike I noticed there was 4 Kawasaki green tubes that came from under the tank area, past the generator cover and then hung down under the bike. When I enquired as to why they were there the seller said it was because the bike sat for so long (since early 2013) that when he first got it running the carbs would flood. He explained this was a mod Kawasaki should of made from the beginning.
I've not had any flooding or over flowing fuel issues at all.

In hindsight I believe I let my childish excitement of getting a ZXR again over ruled my common sence. Alarm bells chimed but I ignored them all for the chance to get it on the road.
Still, I don't regret my decision to bring her home.

Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

You can tell them, thank you very much for this zxr750h1 fuel tank...but it still won't fit my zxr400l3...
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

Hello again,
I finally found some time to get back to working on the bike. I believe I've ran the short wires as you laid them out in your diagram.
However, with this junction box I'm not getting anything to the headlights.

I've shown here the wire configuration for the spade connectors.

The white /blue wire does indeed go to the radiator / fan switch.
The white wire goes to the reg/rec.
Brown wire reg/rec.
Red/green wire goes to the LHS.
Blue /yellow wire to the LHS.
Red/blue wire to the cluster.

I've run the short wires as shown here.

The red/green wire comes off of the 15amp high beam fuse.
The high beam fuse is fed from the same power that feeds the 10amp fan fuse which is fed from the white wire via the reg/rec.

If I connect the Blue/yellow wire to the high beam fuse I get Constant power to the headlights. Even when the bike is switched off.

I'm going to order another junction box and isolate the red/green wire. The other wires I believe are as you discribed with regards to how they should be connected.

Is it possible that with current being fed from the high beam fuse via the red/green wire and current from the low beam fuse via the blue/yellow wire at the same time that it's causing an overload in the junction box?

After nearly two weeks I phoned Corby Kawasaki about my fuel tank. They asked "what colour were you after"?
I said "green and white".
They replied with "oh sorry we only have a blue one".
I said "that fine, knock a bit of money off for waisting my time and sending me the wrong one and I'll have the blue one and get it resprayed".
The reply I got was "oh......ah I. Really sorry this blue one has a big dent in it so we can't sell it".
I though to myself "you don't actually have the fuel tank and you're trying to blag it off."

So I bought the blue one from that you have shown in the previous reply.

Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

Short update:

I've run a short wire from the unsused spade connector in the block (top row, second in from the right) to the blue/yellow wire.
This gives me current to the lights directly from the 10amp low beam fuse.

When I remove the 15amp high beam fuse which sends constant current to the high beam side of the LHS via the red/green wire I lose high beam lights.
Rokkin

Post by Rokkin »

banner001 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 3:38 pm
Ok, i think you have a bike with no light switch on the RHS switchgear, i.e. your lights are always on.

I dont think your red/green wire is doing anything, and im pretty sure it shouldnt be connected to the CDi. Your white/blue wire should be going to the radiator fan switch and then to the fan, not the horn.

I assume that you only have 1 headlight bulb?

you mention that currently your blue yellow wire is going through a diode and towards the relay. i think thats causing your issues, that blue/yellow wire should be connected as in the diagram im showing here, i.e. it should be connected to your low beam fuse.

as for your high bean fuse, you can remove this as you are just pulling power directly from the reg rec, there should be no wires connected to this fuse, indeed you can just remove the fuse.
There is no headlight switch on the RHS switchgear.
The red/green wire is sending constant current to the high beam switch on the LHS switchgear. Removing the 15amp highbeam fuse disables my highbeam.
I have duel headlights.
I have connected the Blue/yellow wire directly to the spade connector that is fed from the 10amp low beam fuse. This spade connector was previously unused.

When I purchased the bike the head light only came on once the bike was running. Now, the headlight comes one when the ignition is turned to the start position.
This hasn't posed a problem however I don't like feeling like I've done a substandard repair by bypassing whatever it is I've bypassed. The relay?

I've purchased some L.E.D headlights that offer more light but draw less current. The 65/35 bulbs didn't give off very much light.

I've tried everything that's been suggested here and I very much appreciate the help given so far. I'll keep pushing forward and see if I can figure this out. I've considered replacing the loom however I'm not certain that will fix my problem. Also there's the restriction to consider and how it may affect the bike.

Anyway, thank you again.

Kind regards,
Mr. Rokkin