HT leads

Moderator: Moderators

richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

HT leads

Post by richie400ss »

I'm fitting a ramair system and want to reloact the coils in the seat hump.

Obviously, the ht leads will be considerably longer than standard.

Anyone know if there is a maximum realistoc length?

Any problems long leads might cause?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

wouldn't have thought the long leads would cause you a problem as long as they are good leads and you have strong sparks from the ignition system.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

longer leads mean the there is going to be a higher resistivity due to its increased length, so idealy you want the leads as short as possible. Thats why GSXR's (i think it was those) run plug cap coils which are much more efficient, as leads sap quite a bit of power. Surely there must be room to put them somewhere nearer?

Ive not looked properly but my ZX7 seems to have the coils just in front of the shock mount, which is where the fuel pump is on the ZXR. But at the same time ive no idea how long the leads are. Perhaps make up an aluminium bracket to mount them somewhere nice n close to the motor?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

or do what they've done on mine and hammer the underside of the tank to clear the coils?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.