ECU's

Moderator: Moderators

RussZXR
My Bike: tomos moped

ECU's

Post by RussZXR »

Hi all,
I recently bought an ECU from ebay for a fiver claiming to be a UK model and therefore unrestricted. It looks exactly the same as the one on my import except it's marked with an 'M' rather than an 'A' and it has two more contacts within one of the block conectors. My loom does not have these contacts. Is this ECU therfore of no use?
Does anyone know?
Ta
Russ
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

as far as i'm aware you need a loom to match the cdi ? :smt017
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

whats the full code number on the cdi ? if it ends in something like 1132 (im tired, its late and im out of coffee, but its something like that), its an unrestricted uk box.. (my import one had a yellow V and ended in 1275, -- or something) there will be minor differences in the connectors as the uk boxes dont have the circuit for the speed limiter device in the speedo to talk to. only real advantage with them is that the import box rev limit is 14500rpm, the uk box goes to 14900rpm, with a slightly different advance curve from 12500rpm upwards

post the full numbers from both your boxes, and i'll let you know what they are :)
RussZXR

Post by RussZXR »

Hi,
The one on the bike has 21119-1271 and is marked with a big 'A'. The one I bought is 21119-1332 and has a big 'M'. the two extra connectors are in the 6 pin socket on the 'M' one.
Russ
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

21119-1271 = jap spec cdi

21119-1332 = uk spec

so yeh, you should be good to just plug n play.

as previously stated theres not really any extra power to be had, just more revs at the topend, and it should conveniently get rid of the 180kph speed restriction without resorting to an mph speedo, or Mmax box

well done on finding one for a fiver, they usually go for 50-70 !!

the H model cdi boxes dont work as the rotor has different spacings. The SP cdi looks completely different and needs a tps and an sp loom as baz said ..
RussZXR

Post by RussZXR »

Cheers.
Hmmmm £50-£70 ehh! Might just go back on ebay at that rate.
Thanks again,
Russ
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

having done a bit of digging it seems that 21119-1271 refers to an H model cdi, .. is your bike an H? if so the uk box you bought wont work anyway, unless you change the ignition rotor.
RussZXR

Post by RussZXR »

Yeah it's an H alright!
So I'll definatly get it back on ebay. Bod who sold it to me said it would work on an H. Thats ebay for you!
Thanks
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

if yours is an H2, theres a chance it may work .. (afraid im a little fuzzy on where the H2 previews L bits) plug it in and try.. worst it'll do is not start.. having said that, i dont think the H model CDI has the lowered 14500rpm rev-limiter anyway, my ZX400G certainly doesn't and revs to in excess of 15,000rpm and thats pretty much an H1 mechanically

still, look at it this way.. you've learnt about cdi boxes, and should make 50 quid re-selling it on ebay :)
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

zimm wrote:whats the full code number on the cdi ? if it ends in something like 1132 (im tired, its late and im out of coffee, but its something like that), its an unrestricted uk box.. (my import one had a yellow V and ended in 1275, -- or something) there will be minor differences in the connectors as the uk boxes dont have the circuit for the speed limiter device in the speedo to talk to. only real advantage with them is that the import box rev limit is 14500rpm, the uk box goes to 14900rpm, with a slightly different advance curve from 12500rpm upwards

post the full numbers from both your boxes, and i'll let you know what they are :)
hello mate.. some quality posting there.... is this the same with l model cdis too mate...ive got 2 cdis one supposed to be a uk one and one import one(ive got an l4 import) and it wont go over 110 mph.... but it does rev into the 14 000 rpms... i also have a red posh lim restrictor remover on the loom behind the clocks

any ideas or help ya can give me mate as this has had me baffled for a while now
RussZXR

Post by RussZXR »

Just as a matter of interest the 'L' model uk spec ECU does not work on an Import 'H' model. Tried it now I have the bike running again and it's a non starter.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

dynamatiz, whats the code numbers on your two boxes ?, does the bike run the same with both of them?

sounds like your speed "de-restrictor" isnt working if it'll rev to 14k+ in the lower gears but wont top out in 5th or 6th.

you can try taking the speedo cable inner out (dont just take the whole thing off, the grease in the cable drive on the hub has a tendency to fling towards brake discs) then take it for a blast, if it revs out in top then you know its the speed restrictor in the speedo playing up (working) and not something else like fuel starvation (float heights*, fuel filter) or a dodgy sparkplug/coil/lead causing lack of power under heavy load.

if its the speed restrictor then the uk box (if you have one) will sort it.

*my L4 used to hit 120ish then just go flat, even held wide open for minutes on end (private test track obviously, not the M69 at all) it wouldnt budge over 125, re-set the float heights made no other changes (that day) and she hit 135 uphill !! the whole bike just felt more fluid and free revving.. cos basically it wasnt running out of fuel every time the throttle was open for more than 5 seconds ..
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

right mate

just a quickie but heres the numbers of the cdis

the one on at the moment

21119-1394 yellow label with a v

and the other(supposed to be uk )

21119-1332 with blue label adn a m on it

al post up some info on how the bike is running later on mate

many thanks
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

your right mate, it revs to 14 ooo rpm in lower gears but wont top out in 5 or 6 th

a also forgot to tell ya that ive got a uk speedo on my import that i fitted my self and its still the same

when a tried the uk one out before it gave me loads of problems, such as wehn comin to a junction to stop it would cut out and take forever to get started, but once i plugged my old one back in after a short while it would be fine, i was told when a bought it , that the cdi would be plug and play !

when ive disconnected the speed restrictor(red box plugged in behind my clocks) it takes the revs down to 10000 rpm in all gears

oh russ by the way, really sorry for the hi jack mate
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

well, your supposed uk box certainly has the right numbers to be a uk box, its possible that its shagged, but heres a thought..

if you have the uk speedo fitted, and the de-restrictor box fitted (and its working) then that should be fine (speed wise) with the import box. If you have the de-restrictor box fitted with the uk box it "may" be buggering things up, id try the uk box without the de-restrictor. (leaving the wires just hanging - the uk box doesnt even know how to talk to it so it wont mind at all)

if it doesnt run ok with the uk box and no de-restrictor then it sounds to me like you have 2 possible problems,

1) you have a fault in the loom somewhere

2) your uk cdi is shagged.

you said ;

"but once i plugged my old one back in after a short while it would be fine"

so it was exhibiting the same symptoms with the stock cdi for a few minutes ? or you swapped boxes "after a short while" ??

If the former, sounds like your uk box is fine and you have a dodgy connection in the loom or something.

If the latter, and its always fine (except for the lack of top-speed) with the import box, then your uk box is dead.

whereabouts are you located ? cos ive got both a good uk cdi and import ones in the shed/on various bikes you could try out if fairly local.

for what its worth my L4 came to me stock, i added a speedo converter (so the kph clocks read in mph) which gave me full speed (no way its gonna do 180mph and cut out) then added a uk (1332) box which gave the increased revs.