Headlight Bulbs

Moderator: Moderators

Neelfy
My Bike: tomos moped

Headlight Bulbs

Post by Neelfy »

Anyone know if itS OK to replace Standard 60/35w Headlight Bulbs on my L9 (UK) with 60/55w bulbs?

Cheers.
Its ok talking to yourself
until.......................you start answering back. :)
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Just done it myself with one bulb, as i'm sick of paying over £20 for the bulb that ONLY fits the ZXR400!!! :x

You need to make some adjustments to get a normal bulb to fit though...

There's another thread on this site that tells you what to do, but i believe it only said one locating pin on the bulb had to be removed - i found that both the lower ones had to be removed and another small oval had to be filed away to get it to fit.
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

PooScooper

Post by PooScooper »

Problem is when you modify the non standard bulbs i found is that once modified you'll find that it'll probably fail it's MOT like mine did when they test it on their light testing thingy. Best thing to do is modify 2 bulbs and have 2 proper ones to put in at MOT time.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah i wrote an article for fitting non standard bulbs. Basically it was a case of cutting the two lower locating tags off and filing away a small 'pip' in the locating hole so that they fit. Standard bulbs should go right in after that as the only mod to the headlight itself was the filing of the pip.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

what about iridium bulbs? 8)
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Iridium should go in fine the same way - or you can buy some iridium surround thingy that you put around the bulb itself....

Not sure that would fit over the £20+ Kwak bulb though cause tehy loked fatter than a standard bulb.

I kept my old Kwak bulb this time, so if anyone wants pics or specs i should be able to oblige.
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

kb-zxr

Post by kb-zxr »

RobB wrote:Yeah i wrote an article for fitting non standard bulbs. Basically it was a case of cutting the two lower locating tags off and filing away a small 'pip' in the locating hole so that they fit. Standard bulbs should go right in after that as the only mod to the headlight itself was the filing of the pip.
Yep he's right. Heres a picture I made a while ago so you can see what he means.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/311164/

I think its an H4 bulb you do this to
Neelfy
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Neelfy »

Cheers for all the replies guys.

I was thinking the difference in watts may cause a problem with electrical system?

But then again using high beam would be 60watt anyway so shouldnt be a problem? should it?

cheers again