Engine Cutting Out coz of Lights!

Moderator: Moderators

SplaTZXR400
My Bike: ZXR400

Engine Cutting Out coz of Lights!

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

Ok, well iv had this problem before, n i got it sorted, when the engine was idling happily if i turned on the main lights or indi's, not every time but most times the engine would eventally die. The reg/rec, n alternator have bin checked. I fixed it last time it was 1 bulb was incorrectly housed. So i adjusted n never had a problem.

Now being winter n dark, iv noticed occasionaly that wen im waiting at lights/junctions it will die!! :smt017 being indi's n lights im sure its the earth. Anyway a question i have is wot would happen if i insulated the bulb from the housing with electrical tape so they were not touching attal?? has any1 else had a similar problem with a soloution?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sure your battery is ok? Might be enough to keep the engine alive but soon as you switch the lights on its had enough and dies. Id get it tested if i were you.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

the battery was new bout a month ago, never had a problem with the battery. but if i pull the lights bulbs out the housing n turn them on with indi's, idle speed dont seem to change, only when they are in the housing, n i think is the right hand bulb thats the culprit. so it must be leaking a current somehow that kills the engine. stumped :smt017
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i had these problems mate, it was the earth strap from the battery to the frame had corroded.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

ok kl, cheers il give that a try. il did also wonder if it could have bin the altenator. like drawing too much current can cause more resistance on the crank, but im notsure if it makes enough difference. i di also notice 2day that the 3 altenator leads are in a very bad state. rusted, corroded , fused or melted or something :smt012 so il will clean everythin, thanks for the direction tho :smt003
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

the plot thickens...last night n th day before it was fine, no runnig problems attal! it rained alst night n this morning when i was in traffic, had my lights on, every time i went 2 idle the engine died, was so annoying :smt013 eventually i just unplugged the lights n didn't use them. managed to arrive alright afterthat, just about.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i would definitely say there is either a bad earth somewhere or your battery is shorting.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

well i think at some point soon, il take the tank off again n chek all the wires underneath. n i wan2 go throught the loom n cheack thoroughly, where everything goes. at least i can rule it out if that dont work n assume its a component. i stil cant understand it tho, i tried 3 diffrent batteries 2day. cleaned the contacts. the engine still randomly splutters to a stop.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

just a thought mate there is a yellow or green connector on the left hand side by the battery, this has been prone to corrosion and causing problems in the past, might be worth looking at.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

not sure, i no there is a green and yellow earth wire that connects to the negative terminal of the battery aswell as a thick black wire, i will check, maybe il try replacing 2moro wen i take it apart again.cheers
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

oops i meant right hand side! i forget you know, its my age!
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

haha, no worries :smt002 . well i went n bought some new indicators 2day, came back home, spent ages getting the old seized ones off. but when i did all this water poured out of it :smt012 so..im wondering if this was the problem. the seals on the stems were broken n the lense was 2. i haven't tested it properly, like on the road. i started it, it idled at 1000 fine, i put all the lights on n indicators n idle was pretty consistant, i left it for bout 5 10 mins switching the lights on, off, on, off, on, left right, left, right, brake on, brake off etc. will hopefully find out soon if this was the cause. fingers crossed :smt020
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

does any1 no bout handmeters? i checked i think the resistance between the engine and battety with a handmeter on the ohms settings n the dial on '200', almost straight at the bottom on most.
anyway wen the engine is tickin over or off it reads bout 1.2 - 0.8 which seems normal on any wire or metal. but wen my lights are on or indis goin it jumps up n down to as far as 80.0 /20.0 / 15.0 etc jumps up all over the place but peaks round 85.0, is this normal? i tested my mates bike the same way n wen he used his lights n engine on it was a constant reading around 1.2/ 1.4 wot does this mean ??? a short or something??? :smt017
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

any electricians around here? by the way, i only get those readings when the bike is wet. wen dry it dont get any higher than bout 4.0