electical fault i think

Moderator: Moderators

garyzxr400

electical fault i think

Post by garyzxr400 »

Hi there was out for a ride last night on my zxr and on the way home developed a bit of a problem. was ridding along at a good pace when the revs started to go haywire rev counter was up and down allover the place and the bike was surging and dying on me. dit concerning on a twisty road ! pulled the clutch to see if it made a difference but it didnt. managed to keep going to catch up with the wife who had been in front then bike cut out and wouldnt start. tried turning out the lights and it was spot on the thing flew ! previous reving out problems disapered as well. had just fitted a new battery that morning. was thinking it might be the alternator not charging and so i may have drained the battery and running the lights and bike was too much but dont know where to start with testing it or the battery. any other ideas would be welcome as am off next sat to do the boundary 500 on it.

thanks for any help you guys can suggest
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: electical fault i think

Post by masterofinsanity »

was gonna suggest the battery but you say its new so next thing would be the rectifier, sounds like its gone kaput!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
garyzxr400

Post by garyzxr400 »

where would i find the rectifier and how can you test it ? actually ithe the thing mounted to the side of the frame with the fins on it isnt it ? but still how do you test it ?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

yes thats it, it tells you how to test it in the manual, just a thought have you checked your earth strap from the battery??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
garyzxr400

Post by garyzxr400 »

no not yey was late when i got in last night so kind of just put it to bed will have a look now
garyzxr400

Post by garyzxr400 »

checked the earth strap it looks like it has rubbed a bit but has not gone through to inner cable. just been told by my mate i should have charged the new battery before i put it on banghead i think my mate is going to test the rectifier for me as the multimeter and me speak different languages
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

definite symptoms of a dead battery but how did you start it if it wasn't charged?
garyzxr400

Post by garyzxr400 »

putting the electrolyite into the battery creates a charge but will only be about 80% power or so i am told. had it on charge for better part of 24 hours now so going to fit it and test the voltages going through the battery when off, on tickover and at revs