AArrrgghhhh, Problems!

Moderator: Moderators

Gregster
My Bike: tomos moped

AArrrgghhhh, Problems!

Post by Gregster »

Ok, I turn my petrol off on a night as I store the bike in the house, usually I remember to turn it ON before going to work. Yesterday I didn't.
Bike engine cut out on me 2 miles from home.
Pulled over, turned petrol on, tried starting bike.... nothing.
After a couple of tries the bike wouldn't even try to start and just began making a rapid ticking noise like the starting motor wasn't working.
A kind motorbiker on a Suzuki 600 pulled up and we tried bump starting it which failed, didn;t even want to start. So I called my mate and we got the jump leads on it and it started. He tested the battery voltage and it was 12v which seemed fine.
Then on the way home the bike died on me after 4 miles at a set of lights, changed down gears and the bike cut out, and I got it started but it coughed & spluttered & cut out. Wheeled it to a near by garaged and chained it up and I'm off now to see if it's still there!
Could it be I have a problem with the starter? Fuses? :smt012
Also does the bike splutter and before running out of petrol as I think I was running very low before setting off! :smt003
Any ideas?

Gregster
Leeds
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

could be a simple fix mate, bikes are a bitch when they run out of full, the carbs hate it, whack some fuel in and rock the bike loads and wait hold throttle open see if u can get any into carbs, she should be fine once shes going
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

jay-sus G,

what a way to treat her eh? its criminal infact! lol!

hope shes still there, im out and about tonight at whitwood college doing the bike maintenance and repair course, so i may see a lonely abandoned chained up bike, ill keep an eye out for yer!

will have to link up for a ride out fella, keep forgetting to ask, but its top of my list!

take it easy
bestie
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

funny that, i was driving through leeds today when i saw 2 guys cutting the chain off a zxr400 with a hacksaw, they said they had lost the key to the padlock, being the nice chap that i am i helped them out with my bolt cutters and gave them a lift into the back of a van, they didn't have the decency to thank me, tossers! :smt077
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

i got offered a zxr400 real cheap earlier, only problem was it didnt have the log book :smt002

LOL
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
Leanne_

Post by Leanne_ »

my bike had the exact same problem with the ticking sound which was happened when my battery was flat as it wasnt being charged the the regulator/rectifier anymore, hope this helps,

Leanne
Gregster

Post by Gregster »

Well the robbing little monkeys of Leeds didn't TWOC my bike :smt002
Took it to a garage & they've charged it up for me today & said that me trying to start the engine for a while drained the battery but everythings fine & I pick it up tomorrow :smt001
Yeah, I gotta stop turning the fuel tap off, force of habit from owning Vespas & lambrettas which tend to leak fuel when u don't turn em off.
Thanks all for your support! :smt007

Gregster
Leeds