Neat top box installation

Moderator: Moderators

gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Neat top box installation

Post by gavinfdavies »

An easy way to mount a top box onto a ZXR for minimal cost, and without resorting to a massive ugly steel rack.

I chose a Tech-7 26 litre top box, since it's cheap, and lasts well (i already have the 48 litre one. I can fit the missus in it!). I mean, i could buy two of for the cost of a givie, and everthings included.
tech7-26l.jpg
Cost; M&P Direct £29.99 or from http://www.vcustoms.co.uk for £25 with zxr400oc discount! :excited
Buy a spare passenger seat from someone (racers often take them off), plonk your top box mounting plate on top, and pick 4 good spot to drill through. Do so. Now either get some longer bolts and bolt the plate on, or cheat and use large plastic zip-ties. Pop the pillion seat back on the bike, attach top box and voila, instant quick release luggage. since most covers won't fit over the top box too, just unlock pillion seat before covering, and leave it attached to bottom of the box.

This layout doesn't buggar about with your aerodynamics too much (its just a rather large seat hump...) nor your weight distribution as much as a large rack mounted box would.

{Will add picture on bike in the morning.}
DSC01307.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).