tank dents

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

tank dents

Post by Daniel.p »

finnaly got the last part of my bike to fix, the great big dent in the tank! I'v bought a new tank but it just wont match and i wont settle for second best with my baby. so i have a 3"-3"inch round dent in my tank with the depth of about 2 cm at its deepest made by my pelvis hitting the tank when i crashed is there any decent way of popping this out because i can always cover the ruined painwork with a carbon tank pad. The actual tank isnt perforated and doesnt leak in the slightest thanks guys ill try and get a picture up later.
Ride it like you stole it
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: tank dents

Post by cargo »

you could drill a small hole in the middle of the dent and screw a self tapper into it then pull the dent out. ?

Or maybe weld something to the middle of the dent and again pull it out. ?

Also you might be able to blow it out with an air line but this might blow the rest of the tank too. ?

Just fill the dent and repaint ?

You could try asking at your nearest car body repair shop they might know some terribly clever trick to pull the dent out
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

Image thAts the ugly dent
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats a dent and a half!!

Think that may be too big to fill, if it gets pulled out the metal will likely be creased round the edges and stretched, so then you have the next problem of concealing that. ut as cargo says, a paint shop is probably your best bet as they can give you some options.
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

Yeh iv been told a good but risky way is to leave the tank with low fuel in get a hair dryer to it to make the fumes expand thus bang out the dent in too worried about creasing etc as there are many tank pads big enough to cover it and making that dent left me with a bruised set of crown jewels for a month!
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

heating up fuel vapor with any heat source is risky (i once watched someone try mig welding a unrinsed tank... there was a loud pop & a flash, the tank jumped 6 foot in the air, and took on the shaped of a beach ball! :pmsl )

plus kwak tanks have a pressure release mechanism (just move your bike into the sun, you'll hear it start a faint whistling)

try a body shop. though i have seen special dent pullers in mcn i think...
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

Hmm ill have a look into it thanks for the feedback the dent actually makes the bike comfier to ride just makes the bike look tatty when im off it
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

gavinfdavies wrote:plus kwak tanks have a pressure release mechanism (just move your bike into the sun, you'll hear it start a faint whistling)
OOOO is that what that is, been wondering why the tank has been doing that a couple of times!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

a pressure release mechanism...................good grief that is a cracker

Every bike that ever had a tank for fuel has a breather to allow air in so as to not create a vacum..............................

pressure release mechanism......................... my ass yer
head is a marley as we say in Norn Iron
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

you know what i mean :smt019

i couldn't think of the word breather at the time. you'd be surprised how many people wonder what that whistling is. i even once had a security guard tell me to move my bike because he could smell petrol and the tank (being sat in sun) was hot to the touch. He told me i should be more careful because it could spontaneously combust! :pmsl
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
eggy
My Bike: zxr400rr

Post by eggy »

you could take off the tank an fill it with water an put the tank into the freezer the water wil freeze an expand that sould push out the dent