Best way to repair busted fairings?

Moderator: Moderators

bikenut
My Bike: ZXR 400 L5, YZF-R1

Best way to repair busted fairings?

Post by bikenut »

Following my smash the other day, i want to repair the fairings, not for looks just to hold them together temporarily.

I was thinking of one of those fibre glass kits from Helfrauds, slapped over the back?

Or is there a better way?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Best way to repair busted fairings?

Post by cargo »

If you have all the pieces it is perfectly possible to have it plastic welded and resprayed to look good as new.
Even without all the pieces it's possible but you need to find a good plastic welder.

I'm not so sure that fibre glass will "take" to the plastic and stay together that well

For smaller repairs there is always the cable tie and soldering iron trick and a bit of DIY plastic welding
Borile
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by Borile »

Thing with plastic weilding, is that if you back it with fiber glass it becomes alot stronger, ive done it a few times now and if you want some advice then feel free to pm me and we can discuss things.
ZXR400H1
XL100S
TR6P
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

I tried the Halfords kit on my ZXR400 fairing. It was shite. And messy.

Finding a proper plastic welder is the way to go, because any bodge you make will either not work, not last, or make more of a mess of it. Until then Duct tape and cable ties will see you proud. :smt002
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

bikenut
My Bike: ZXR 400 L5, YZF-R1

Post by bikenut »

How do you fix with cable ties, drill holes each side of the break with the cable ties through them like stitches?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

If you intend repairing the plastics don't go making the job harder by drilling holes in it.

Get a cheap soldering iron and weld the back of the crack back together , you can use a cable tie to melt extra plastic on top of the repair.

Like Cargo said , once welded up it can be sprayed to look like new again - that colour scheme is pretty rare these days and I certainly don't see many here id at all !

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
zxrob
My Bike: zxr400, zxr750,, zx9r

Post by zxrob »

Borile wrote:Thing with plastic weilding, is that if you back it with fiber glass it becomes alot stronger, .
Thats how I do it, makes a good strong join

Rob
Borile
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by Borile »

It works and just gives you that extra piece of mind, Bikenut, if your not too far away, I may well be able to fix it for you if you want?
ZXR400H1
XL100S
TR6P
sb1050
My Bike: er6 f

Post by sb1050 »

bikenut wrote:Following my smash the other day, i want to repair the fairings, not for looks just to hold them together temporarily.

I was thinking of one of those fibre glass kits from Helfrauds, slapped over the back?

Or is there a better way?
i am a highly skilled body repairer and have experiance in plastic welding and is the best choice but its hard to find some one with the skills and eqipment would recomend to stay away from all fibre glass repair kits as i find them not very flexible the best plastic repair kit one which i choose to use is q bond filling powders and costs arouns 15 pound for kit and stocked at most good body shop supplyers also has its own web site try it trust me you wont be sorry you will swear by it for the rest of your life easy to use will need to remove panels firings as has to be flat tofill cracks and holes with powder then ading activateing soloution and takes about 15 seconds to set ready to sand and prep for paint leaves plastic repairs as near strong as origanal :excited
cardboardcutouts
My Bike: Zxr 400 1991

Post by cardboardcutouts »

i used a fibreglass repair kit from halfords to repair my fairing it worked a treat, once sanded and resprayed i couldnt even see it... Others says its bad, well i dont know maybe i just had luck with it?!