Side Fairings - won't fit anymore

Moderator: Moderators

banzay
My Bike: tomos moped

Side Fairings - won't fit anymore

Post by banzay »

Ok, so i had a little crash with my zxr. Well...more like a slide (just near my home), and my front fairing split in 4 pieces. It was allready cracked so no big trouble. I managed to repair it and paint it, and fixed it back on the motorcycle. But the side fairings don't seem to fit anymore. The front shock absorbers don't seem bent. But is it normal the distance between the wheel and the oil radiator to be that small? About 2-3 fingers? The presentation photo i added with the red markers show where the fairings hit the wheel. What should i check?

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Side Fairings - won't fit anymore

Post by Mori Man »

Do a search for posts by Scott211 (?) I think he had this same problem.

If the front took a good dunt the triples may be bent or the headstock - this would in turn push your front wheel in towards the radiator.

There should be axle to axle distance in the workshop manual so check that and see if its the same. Or some kind L owner post up what their bikes is :smt001

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
banzay

Post by banzay »

Yea...i thought of the headstock... i guess it is a problem that can be dealt with at a regular moto service no? It was more a slide than a bump, my right handlebar is just a little 'shaved' on the pavement :)

Anyway, THANX A LOT for your time helping! :smt006
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

If the headstock is gone it will need putting into a Motoliner jig and straightened - I think they always want it as a rolling chasis with no engine etc...

Triples are an easier fix - scour EBay for a cheap used set , doesn't take much to do a swap over and compare

You dont want to be driving it while like this - under heavy breaking you will more than likely make contact and the rake will have changed changing its character which in turn will make you more likely to tip in too quick and your off again.
banzay

Post by banzay »

Well...found the topic for mr. Scott221 (not 211 :smt003). Still, didn't realise what did he do in the end... The motorcycle runs fine, no problem with steering, nor braking. The gap is still big enough, not to damage the rad or something else in case of a brutal brake. But not big enough to fit the fairings :) At 70Km/h (about 42 miles?) it runs fine on the road... Anyway i'm going to the service monday for a major check and fix everything :)

THX again! :)
banzay

Post by banzay »

New data :)

Checked the wheelbase: Allmost manual value: 138cm. (1385in manual). Doublechecked the yokes (the eye tool :) ) and the frame, and the forks and everything seems ok. The frame had 2 'dents' on it (one on each side), i pinpointed them on the picture with arrows, but they where there before and they are to perfect and simetric so i guess they are the original model. The tire is 120/70/17 but it didn't hit fairings before. The space between the tire and the oil radiator is about 2-3 cm, but it wouldn't hit it whatever i do (strange though).

Next to do:
Cos the fairing is in the way i put a long drill bit inside the front spindle and one inside the swingarm spindle, that way the centre is more or less projected out and was able to measure the distance between the two without the faring in my way.

Ive got 86cm (85.5 to a second measurement), on mine, so anything quite a bit less than that then you know its the frame/forks.
Still going to the service on monday, but trying to learn new stuff :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

While your at it measure the height at the front end - I think this is spec'd as the handle bars.

Although 5mm doesn't sound a lot it's not a uniform 5mm being pressed in but pendular , the headstock being the static point so as the axle distance moves in the front end rises.

No experience will L frame so can't comment about the dimples.

MM!
banzay

Post by banzay »

Could you please show me on the picture what should i measure? My english is a bit rusty.

Another measurement taken and it shows 81 instead of 85.5. Between the triples there is no difference ~12cm in any point. I just hope it is the fork and not the headstock :) But come on... it was just a slide taken on the right side at ~20 miles an hour, how could the frame been bent? I had a friend that did this at ~60 miles with a hit in the front at the end and the frame is just ok.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Does the fairing line up with it's mounting points ??
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

hey i had the same problem and im still confuzzled! i crashed 4 months and the wheel touched the fairing so new forks straight away same problem. pulll the fairing back a little got the wheel on and it missed by literally 2mm, and then i needed a new tyre -.- had to drop the forks through a little, the dimples are fine iv got them aswell there on either side so cant seem them being a bend. i was told to check all the fairing mounting points but the only thing i can think of is getting the bike jigged but what are the triples? and how would i check if the headstock is bent?
Ride it like you stole it
banzay

Post by banzay »

The fairing lines up with it's mounting points 2/3 on right and 3/3 left (including the stator hole in the middle), but...it touches the wheel. The mouting points closer to the wheel, couldn't been moved because they are between the radiator and engine(?).

Just came home from a little ride. It is steady on the road, it cornes like before, it works just fine. The only thing is this that little space looks suspect and the fairings won't fit like before (and not another way to mount them, maybe cut them in half :excited ). <I know this looks like 'russian rullete' but damn, i love it :smt005 >
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

My L4 has the dimples on its frame - don't all the prettiest girls have them?- and it's never been crashed, so you don't need to worry about those. Are the forks positioned right in the yokes? - what I mean is if they had been knocked upwards wouldn't that bring the wheel closer to the fairing on account of the rake? I can't see how the headstock is going to get seriously knocked back / frame bend without some sort of front end impact.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
banzay

Post by banzay »

I couldn't go to the service on monday. Bad wheater, slippery road, but still managed to get my moto to my workplace (closer to the service) with some 'action' just at the gate. I slowed down, and just when i took the turn, i met some ice and the rear slipped a bit. Fortunately i was able to control it :) So...now it is snowing, and the visit to the service is postponed.
banzay

Post by banzay »

I can't see how the headstock is going to get seriously knocked back / frame bend without some sort of front end impact.
Well...i can't understand this either... :smt017

Yea, so the weather finnaly straightened up, almost 7 degrees Celsius on saturday, and brought the bike to the service. They changed the oil in the forks, and told me all is just ok. :tease the forks are ok, the jugs are ok, and the headstock can't be bent. It looks like there is a little more space now, but still not enough. The bike is just ok, beside not braking as it should, i was told i have a disc with a problem.
banzay

Post by banzay »

what wrench size do i need to take off this this top yoke screw?