Re-paint

Moderator: Moderators

ob1988
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400

Re-paint

Post by ob1988 »

Hi

I recently bought a ZXR, however the previous owner had done a simple black re-spray over the original colour (it's a 2000 model so I think this was black/purple). I want to get it completely re done into the original green/white style of the older models.

I want to get this done properly so won't be doing this myself - could anyone tell me where I could get this done (I live in London so preferably around here) and also how much a complete re-paint would cost? I am new to biking so have no idea!

Also is it possible to get the original decals?

Any help would greatly appreciated.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Re-paint

Post by Mori Man »

Howdy,

Would need to know which model you want to replicate - year , model designation & pics all help :smt001 Then I can see if decals are still available.

If not , plenty decal replicators on EBay and they should knock you up a set .

Re-spray , flippin difficult as i am a fussy giraffe when it comes to paint and finish unless I do it myself, If I pay it needs to be 100% no iffs or butts.

Google bike painters in London , ask to see work or portfolio - dont get shrugged off! There are plenty shite painters out there !!

If your willing to pay top bucks have all the decals painted instead - far nicer :smt004

If your still struggling I will contact a mate about his painter , have seen and used both his bikes and the paintwork was stunning - I say that rarely, so honestly that is an accolade to the guy !

He lives around the London area - maybe 35miles or so.

Welcome to the site BTW,

MM! :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
ob1988

Post by ob1988 »

Hey thanks for the advice!

Would love to give it a go myself.....but its my first bike and don't want to make a mistake! Its my pride and joy at the moment! Having said that I just drove it up to Birmingham and the head gasket has gone - very annoying. The garage its at is having trouble finding the part - any idea where is best to find one? Ebay?

As for the paint, I think its the 1995 L5 model (see attached). Just looks a bit funkier than jet black! Any idea on prices for re-sprays?

Thanks for offering your mates services - will have a shop round London first see if anyone can do me a good deal.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Loadsa head gasketts on ebay, but i would goto cradley kawasakiand get a genuine kwak one.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

:wtf

I would be seriously concerned if my bike was for repairs at a garage staffed by such obvious f*ckwits who couldn't source a headgasket which is still available new from any authorised Kwak parts dealer.

They're either bullshitting you or they're incompetent. Either way, not good.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Leey
My Bike: Zxr400L8

Post by Leey »

Shame good motor cycle repair shops are like gold dust now my mate took his zxr750r to have the cam chain and shims looked at and replaced told him it would take 2 weeks to fix,
called after 3 weeks to see how it was going to be told they cant be bothererd to fix it because there to busy :pmsl
We went down to pick the zxr up to find all the fairings off tank head in different boxes scatered around the work shop :smt011
and they charged him £60 quid for looking at it :excited.
Think its the case most shops only like working on the new bike they sell now.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Spot on there Leey.

What you've got to do now if you want to own an older bike is learn how to do most jobs yourself and kit yourself up with tools. Read practical bike magazines which tell you how to do work and recommend proper mechanics who will do work you can't. If you need a job doing which is beyond you then do as much as you can yourself and let one of those guys do the rest. Be prepared to have to travel to one of these mechanics, they're not in every town.

Definitely DO NOT expect a dealer to give a flying f*ck about working on your bike. They only want to sell new ones and rip you off for 'servicing' it.

Which is why the bike industry is in the state it's in. Any newby to biking soon thinks "f*ck this, I'll get a car, I can get that repaired anywhere dead easy. Bike's are a PITA " and then walks away.

But the penny ain't dropped with the dealers yet, even though most are close to going bust :wanker
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

Post by razzcolio »

Tirpitz wrote:Any newby to biking soon thinks "f*ck this, I'll get a car, I can get that repaired anywhere dead easy.

well then there not proper bikers and we dont need em!
lol
ob1988

Post by ob1988 »

Thanks CaNsa.

The garage had been telling me for two weeks they couldn't get one and their supplier was being useless. Took me 5 mins to ring up Cradley and get it sent to them - god help me when they start fixing it up.