Polishing the frame

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Polishing the frame

Post by banner001 »

My frame is part polished...i would like to do all the rest, plus a few things like the exhaust hugger etc...

So, if anyone has done this i would appreciate a few tips, am looking at getting 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper in order the get the ally to a near-mirror finish, but for the final polish what would you reccomend?

most people use a dremel type-thing, but as i dont have one i was wondering how to polish it to a mirror shine? I assume a aly polishing compond and a cloth combined with elbow grease? or will a dremel-thing make it soo much easier?

also would you be able to do all the grit-polishing above with a dremel, or is that stil better done by hand?

and as the engine and everything is off the bike for at least another 2 weeks it makes sense to do it now.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Polishing the frame

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive not done a whole frame but bits ive polished in the past ive used a polishing kit.

Usually 3 or 4 wheels and some 'soaps', start with the coarse wheel and work your way to the soft wheels using the soaps to help polish, they usualy have instructions. You could always use a drill instead of a dremmel but i guess you will need it to get it in the nooks and crannies?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

check out this site http://www.polishing-kits.co.uk/ for stuff you need and tips, and dont foget to check my work in the photos section :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

sanding down the frame (by hand) has begun...no turning back now other than to hang my head in shame and powdercoat it if it all goes tits up :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

sanded down one side, am half way through the other side. did a quick polish by hand while i wait for some time off to borrow my mates drill attachment to do a proper job.

here is the bottom left hand side, its got a good shine going, dont know if i can really be bothered to polish it more than this? will probably keep coming back to it to remove the odd imperfection here and there. its not mirror-finish, but its getting there. also as this is my daily commuter bike i will never get it looking showroom quality...

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

looking good broham
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

got 2 weeks off at the start of october, gonna take off all the fairings and polish the whole frame, might even do the exhaust hanger and the rearsets :D

might clear it with the missus to buy some gold caliper paint and do the calipers and the inside of the rotors at the same time :D

just gotta see if i want the inside of the rotors to be black like now, or gold like the calipers...going with gold :D