Fibreglass fairing

Moderator: Moderators

Manxjim
My Bike: ZXR400L1

Fibreglass fairing

Post by Manxjim »

Hi All,

Did a stupid thing the other night and dropped my poor kwaka whilst moving it round in the garage. Needless to say, the already 'hurt' fairings are now kaput. Been surfing ebay looking for a left side panel, but most on there are either just as damaged, or the postage to IOM is too much. So, I have found a new set made by a company in Germany in fibreglass.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-S-KAWASAKI- ... xyGxxSH02N

Has anyone used these before and are they ok? A whole new front + side fairing for £160 is better than the £90 inc postage I was quoted for the 1 really decent fairing I found.

Thanks all!
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Fibreglass fairing

Post by Ewetea »

I bought one earlier this year for a project bike, but have only just started to fit it. I have already noticed several inconsistencies on the upper fairing: The supports for the headlight do not stand proud enough - when the headlight is attached and the bolts tightened to the point where the lens fits in the aperture, there is a gap of 4-6mm between the supports and the headlight lugs. That can be sorted with some spacers. The lower part of the fairing that attaches to the headstock support is only 1.5mm thick. The standard fairing is 4mm thick...some additional fibreglass needed. The upper wings of the fairing where the mirrors and frame support are attached is likewise only about 1.5mm thick. The standard item has a boss 5-6 mm thick...an alloy plate will probably be used there. Oh - and all holes will have to be drilled, so some cunning will be needed to ensure that they are in the right place, although there is the benefit that any mistakes can be repaired with fibreglass and re-drilled. Then of course there will be some spraying needed.
That's as far as I have investigated, so I expect further differences. I look on them as challenges!
It's your call!
Manxjim
My Bike: ZXR400L1

Re: Fibreglass fairing

Post by Manxjim »

Thanks for the reply. Everything on my bikes is a challenge it seems, so that doesn't faze me any. As you say, fibreglass is easier repaired than plastic so I can hide my c*ck-ups easier.

May purchase a set then. Whole bike will need a spray after I threw it down the road at <5mph and then dropped it in the garage confuddled