Different rear ends?

Moderator: Moderators

Monstrous
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L2

Different rear ends?

Post by Monstrous »

Anyone tried to fit a different rear end to the ZXR?

I just don't like how it looks so crowded and like the pointy rear ends where there is space between the undertray and back wheel (Like on the new zx6r's).

Anyone tried something like this ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

Would it be difficult to do and throw some indicators on?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Different rear ends?

Post by RedexRobB »

this topic should help you out chap :)

woops forgot link

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3068
mike zxr hotchin
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by mike zxr hotchin »

i have put a 2005 R6 seat unit on my H model and i have also put 2007 R6 front fairing on and it looks top. it was easy to do just a few mods to the subframe and job done.
mike
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

sounds good mate, got any pics?
mike zxr hotchin

ill try and get some once its all painted up, i have done this to my track bike so it has no lights on it.
Monstrous
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L2

Post by Monstrous »

RedexRobB wrote:this topic should help you out chap :)

woops forgot link

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3068
Thanks for that, Rob :) .

Good info there, but I don't think any of those look as good as that CBR600RR unit in the race bike. I like the gap between the back wheel and undertray, look. Very pointy!

The guy responded to my question asking about fitting and only said "cbr 600 rr 03 - 04 seat unit". How helpful of him :(.
mike zxr hotchin

well i dont think u have seen 1 with an 05 rear end on, as the RR is far to long and every1 has done it. if i could get pictures on here i would show u it.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

you can fit any back end really with a bit of fiddlin. Its the lights and indicators that may be the trouble. Have you seen the ams pointy back end? if you like the upswept pointy look, then i reckon thats the best road option for you. they would probs supply it with suitable lights, indicators,etc.. just bolt it on.

If you want to go the 600rr way, then they are quite easy to fit. I had to make a bracket up and cut my subframe a bit to fit one, but mines a H, they fit L's better. Raven performance do one that bolts straight on to the L.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

working on making my 03 cbr600rr one fit properly (ie for the road, rather than zip-tied on for the track) at the moment.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

I really wanna put a 600rr rear end on my L3 and am looking to do it b4 summer however I may be missing something here but how does the cbr600rr rear end fit on an L without much modding? the subframe is massive! is it because the cbr seat is so far back the sharp pointed back of the tail is completely off the back of the subframe?

Also i did post a topic on 600RR rear ends but nobody responded but is it year specific or will any 600RR tail fit? I know virtually any tail can be fitted with modding but im after a near straight fit with as little modding and hacking as possible (less to go wrong then :pmsl )
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

If you're using it for the track, then take the back half of the subframe on and it fits pretty nicely on whats left. This is what I did last year.

Mine is meant to fit an 03 CBR6RR with the stock riders seat, and I had to cut quite a bit away to get the standard ZXR4 seat back on. There's some pretty big gaps round it which I need to fill - so if you want it to look nice and you're not prepared to get stuck into some fibreglassing then don't do it this way.

The alternative is to get one which is designed to be used with a stick on foam seat rather than to fit a CBR with a stock seat. I imagine these would go straight on with minimal cutting. I wanted the standard seat though.

If you want to get it roadworthy, it will just about fit on with the rear half of the subframe on, but it will look awful - it just sits on top of the subframe rather than wrapping round/hiding it. To make it look good, you're looking at making a plate/light/indicator hanger that you can hang off the front half of the subframe and will extend out far enough to put everything in the right place.

I'm making a complete new subframe for my bike anyway, so mine will fit perfectly biggrin . Will post some pictures up when it's done.

So the conclusion is, you can have:

a) easy fit, good enough for the track.
B) a lot of work to get it good enough for the road.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Well i dont mind putting the work in if sumone could do a step by step guide on what i'd need to do, i really want a cbr600rr rear end on it.

Cheers for the info mate.
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
THE FLUTE

Post by THE FLUTE »

Here's mine I cut and modified the rear subframe lower rails so you can't see them under the bobywork. The seat unit went straight on with no cutting at all.

saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Nice one there pal, wat year is that? Looks alot better than the 07/08 rear end I was looking at putting on it as all that space is filled.

What's that big silver cylinder thing on the back?
THE FLUTE

Post by THE FLUTE »

saka_ZXR wrote:Nice one there pal, wat year is that? Looks alot better than the 07/08 rear end I was looking at putting on it as all that space is filled.

What's that big silver cylinder thing on the back?
Cheers Mate quite chuffed with it
The alloy cylinder at the back is the oil breather catch tank.