Taking a Muffler apart

Moderator: Moderators

Ultrasonic2
My Bike: 1992 ZXR

Taking a Muffler apart

Post by Ultrasonic2 »

So i have ZXR that has an after market muffler on it. The muffler is surprisingly quite, Much quieter than the stock mufler on my CBR.
So i thought i would take it apart and do somthing to it to free it up.

My question is
1 Dose any one have a link of what a typical muffler looks like once the outer lining has been removed ?

2 The outer skin is riveted at both ends. if i drill just the outlet/end of the cans rivets out will the very tip/end pull out OR do i need to drill the all rivets out at both ends of the can and side the can off leaving

my aim is to get a little more power but without making it to loud

thanks for your time
Ultrasonic2

Re: Taking a Muffler apart

Post by Ultrasonic2 »

After some reflection i dont want to take the baffel/ packing out, but want to drill a hole in the muffler as it's not a straight though system for some reason . im a bit worried that it will be to loud and would to love to know how it's constructed.
Ultrasonic2

Re: Taking a Muffler apart

Post by Ultrasonic2 »

Well i removed the muffler and had a bit of a play with it . and it's definitely not a straight though pipe.

After looking at it for some time i realised that by FAR the most restrictive part of the muffler is the exit. so i drilled some holes next to the exit to free it up, also doing so has by passed one of the "reflection stages". it has made it a bit louder but hardly noticeable which is good cos i dont want it louder.