Buying New system

Moderator: Moderators

utternuttercallum
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Buying New system

Post by utternuttercallum »

Hi all,

ok so my downpipes are rotten, my can is blowing and has a huuge hole in the back of it so im going to replace it. its a stubby micron can i have at the moment.

Im thinking of getting an oval can with a bit of carbon fibre or iridium on it i want it standard size and instead of the tube kind of coming out i want a kind of tapering one if that makes sense? im thinking of getting it from A16 as they r pretty good and they are going to get the rest of the system from a company called hindle a stainless steel system held together by spring clips. any thoughts on this?

basically i want one that isnt obnoxiously loud but enough that it will make sure everyone looks in their mirror to see the source of the noise when im overtaking etc. i also want it to be very deep and bassy rumbling especially when it idles although i dont mind it screaming a bit when i open the throttle lol :) again anyone know of anywhere or brands or comapanies theyd recommend?

also my current exhaust does this thing when i rev up where it kind of backfires a bit and shoots a flame out. i know it does it if i rev when static and it sounds like when i shift gears above around 12000rpm it does it (i cant look round and see for obvious reasons). is this a bad thing cos i think it looks and sounds quite cool and if its not gonna cause problems can i make sure it still does it with a new exhaust? :)

sorry for the length of the post just wanted to include as much info as poss. finally its off topic but it saves me doing another post, one would the L model front fairing fit my H model? i just prefer the two headlights to be under one lens lol and second can i get the double bubble screen for either of the fairings depending which will fit. if so where can i gt it from?

thanks all and thanks in advance for replies :D

:smt020 geek :tease
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Buying New system

Post by CaNsA »

www.mtcexhausts.co.uk

Had a full system on my 1st zxr. It was toad hot and sounded really nice.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
utternuttercallum
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Post by utternuttercallum »

CaNsA wrote:http://www.mtcexhausts.co.uk

Had a full system on my 1st zxr. It was toad hot and sounded really nice.
thanks man. you reckon ill still get my little backfire thingy? my friend said another way to make it happen it to tweak my carbs or summin like tht??

and they are a little expensive for me loool
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

if my old and extremely scarastic memory serves me right a backfire from the exhaust on a just closed throttle is an indication of weak mixture.

So just lean it off a bit and you'll get all the popping and banging you want...........
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You're currently wrecking your engine as it is clearly running way too lean - hence backfiring etc. If you carry on with this much longer you will have burnt all your valves and will probably have a hole in a piston or two - your exhaust will be the least of your worries then. Stubby cans are not road legal, should fail an MoT, will get you fined if you get a roadside check by Plod, and are not compatible with the original carb set-up.

You need to stop p*ssing about if you're serious about running the bike and not just trashing it. If you replace the downpipes with non-OEM and the can with something aftermarket there is every chance that you will need to pay for some dyno time to have the fuelling sorted out. It sounds like it is already way out as said above. It's going to cost you about £20 per dyno run then the time for the guy to rejet the carbs plus parts. There's no point at all doing anything unless you're prepared to do it properly and get the fuelling set up correctly after you have replaced the exhaust, as otherwise you'll soon be looking at a broken bike and a lot of wasted money.

Having said that the A16 road legal carbon can on OEM downpipes does not need a rejet and clears up all the factory flatspots.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Tirpitz wrote:You're currently wrecking your engine as it is clearly running way too lean - hence backfiring etc. If you carry on with this much longer you will have burnt all your valves and will probably have a hole in a piston or two - your exhaust will be the least of your worries then. Stubby cans are not road legal, should fail an MoT, will get you fined if you get a roadside check by Plod, and are not compatible with the original carb set-up.

You need to stop p*ssing about if you're serious about running the bike and not just trashing it. If you replace the downpipes with non-OEM and the can with something aftermarket there is every chance that you will need to pay for some dyno time to have the fuelling sorted out. It sounds like it is already way out as said above. It's going to cost you about £20 per dyno run then the time for the guy to rejet the carbs plus parts. There's no point at all doing anything unless you're prepared to do it properly and get the fuelling set up correctly after you have replaced the exhaust, as otherwise you'll soon be looking at a broken bike and a lot of wasted money.

Having said that the A16 road legal carbon can on OEM downpipes does not need a rejet and clears up all the factory flatspots.

I could not agree more but he wanted to wreck his engine.......................why should I care