Downpipe fitment

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Downpipe fitment

Post by Miles »

Hello folks. Having problems fitting my exhaust back on after the rebuild.

No matter how many times I put it back on the link pipe is always touching the fairing when I push it against where it bolts on ie the lower fairing mounting nut.

I have double checked I don't have the fairing supports the wrong side.

Is there a trick to refitment?

Ps from what I can tell their not oem pipes but they do fit as they fitted fine before. SS replacements I believe. Also they don't appear to have been bent. Most strange
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Downpipe fitment

Post by RedexRobB »

My beet system did that, not sure why but it did melt the panel slightly. Id suggest leaving as is and exhaust wrap the offending piece.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

That might be the solution. Unfortunately though the exhaust is stopping the fairing from going on.

It's either a bent frame, twisted pipes or the engine isn't sitting square
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

my sandy spares are a little further "out" than oem from new, as others have said they can cause the fairings to melt.

i tried heat wrap but they still got a little hot, so i cut the fairing with a little "arc" around where it was melting...been fine since then.

im moving house and my bikes are currently packed like sardines, but when i move i can take a pic if you want?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

That would be helpful thanks
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Old post I know but still pulling my hair out over this issue.

I did however discover that the fairing mounting brackets were bent ever so slightly so after ordering, then reordering thanks to Cradleys sending correct part numbered parts but wrong parts (most unlike them), I offered the fairing back up but to no avail.

I have tried with several different pieces of fairing and still no luck. I don't believe the frame to be twisted as the engine went in with no issues therefore I can only assume the pipes have a twist. No signs of ripples or dents in them though.

Is it possible to heat and 'bend' them or should I just go down the route of putting shims on the lower bracket?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

the side panel that i mentioned is now ready for me to collect it, so im off to get it this saturday, ill take a picture of it for you then and post it before the weekend is over?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Miles wrote:Is it possible to heat and 'bend' them or should I just go down the route of putting shims on the lower bracket?
before i decided to cut mine this is what i did, a m8 nut did the trick to distance the fairing from the exhaust, i would still heat wrap it.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

A picture would be handy banner. Doing my head in. Have freshly painted panels back from the shop sitting to go on but can't risk melting them

Thought I'd found the problem with the bent fairing brackets but sadly no.

Hopefully the picture will clear things up
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Miles wrote:A picture would be handy banner. Doing my head in. Have freshly painted panels back from the shop sitting to go on but can't risk melting them

Thought I'd found the problem with the bent fairing brackets but sadly no.

Hopefully the picture will clear things up
here are my pictures, note the blue swish on mine is painted, thats not a decal :D he's a good sprayer is my mate :D

this is the cutout that i made, i still have to space out the rear-most bracket with a 2.5mm spacer, but that gives me plenty of clearance, at least 3mm all around, and thats taking into account the heat wrap too

this is with the panel fitted to the bike, the cut is hardly noticeable and this is with the bike lent over on the stand and me sat on the floor

underside, the burning on the heatwrap was where it was melting the fairing from before, ill probably re-do it with fresh wrap at some point.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Thanks very much Banner. My exhaust wrap arrived today and your photos have given me a few ideas.

I still don't know why it won't just go back on. Even after I discovered & replaced the bent brackets. Must have damaged the pipes. I'd have thought they would have bent into the bike not out.

I'll keep it updated

Thanks again
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Miles »

Well try as I might I still can't get it to clear. I've used exhaust wrap and heat reflector on a old piece of fairing and it melted right through. Leaves me to believe the pipes are bent, unless something else could be damaged?

Anyone any advice on the best way to go about heating and reshaping the pipes? Before I go and buy a new set only to find they don't fit either :smt012