A16 slip on not fitting?

Moderator: Moderators

RozzaNI
My Bike: ZXR 400 98

A16 slip on not fitting?

Post by RozzaNI »

Another noob question, sorry if I'm being an idiot but I'm having trouble fitting my A16 exhaust.

The exhaust comes with a stainless steel mount and 3 bolts (although I can't figure out what these bolts are for, since they are too short to fit through the mount).

I took off the old exhaust, including the clamp. I then slipped my new exhaust on, wrapped the mount around it and tightened it as much as I could, however it isn't tight around the can, and as a result the can has some play. I have tried removing the rubber washers, taking out the spacers, using the supplied bolt, but no combination of fittings seems to secure the mount around the end can.

Am I missing something completely obvious here? There is no room for the clamp to tighten around the exhaust, so I'm assuming the can is meant to be held in place by the mount on it's own? I mean i've owned 2 bikes previously and all they involved was securing the clamp and then tightening the mount, which was always easy.

I've got one theory that my pipes are aftermarket, but this doesn't really make sense as the bike currently has a standard OEM exhaust on it.

Cheers
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: A16 slip on not fitting?

Post by bendog66 »

If your old can was a standard one then it's a bolt on not a slip on one. I think ice seen some bolt on to slip on converters but don't ask me where, and it's possible I was hallucinating
RozzaNI
My Bike: ZXR 400 98

Re: A16 slip on not fitting?

Post by RozzaNI »

Figured it out. The previous owner modified the exhaust to take a clamp/slip on, he must have had an aftermarket on the bike and then took it off to sell it, meaning he had to mess around a bit with the original. Time for me to dyno the bike to make sure the fueling isn't messed.

Returning the exhaust I bought now, I'll just stick with the standard I guess. Can't be arsed fooling around with getting a custom made one.