l model downpipes

Moderator: Moderators

dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

l model downpipes

Post by dynamatiz »

hi guys am new here, am currently tryin to get my nw bike into its original condition, its zxr 400 l model (l reg, dont know the model number tho!) its green white and purple

a know the past 3 owners, and 2 of them have looked after the bike well, but the most recent one, has had it standing in his garage fro over a year

what ive noticed is the the downpipes and can have beeb cut short to reduce the leanght of the exhaust, and the can even tho (as far as i am aware) is original has been converted to a slip on ???

i think am gnna need a new exhaust to get it through its mot, but was wonderin am a gonna need new downpipes and a new can, or just a new can

a know the origianl can, has 3 bolts to bolt onto the downpipes, but mine has neither

any help on this guys and am a right in what i say ???
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

yes mate the original can has 3 bolts, sounds like the flange has been cut off if they are the original headers, best bet would be to get a slip on can off another bike for the mot, check on ebay.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

hi mate

am gonna go and see the lad today who actually cut the downpipes and see what he says, but if so...

what can would be the best for this and off which bike, and would i not be better of gettin new downpipes( hope not cos im a bit skint )

a will try and get a pic up of them , if that will be of any help ?

cheers mate
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Check the size ot the pipe, that way you know what size clamp to get when you buy a can. :smt002
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

will do

so i take it av got to measure the cicrcumfrence of the pipe it self ???
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

yep, hopefully you can get an end can that fits but im assuming you can as you had one on there before?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

cheers rob

it is an expensive do, isnt it

am gonna try and weigh up he pros and cons, see a dont know wether to get a full system and save up for it, or just get a can that ll fit my downpipes, a know which will be the cheapest,
icklelea
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by icklelea »

i got a hole in my downpipes not so long ago, took it to the garage expecting them to just patch it, when they rung me up telling me i needed all new downpipes gasketts etc i nearly fell through the floor how much they charged me :smt009
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

go on then tell us how much??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

no cos you'll all laugh at me for being so stupid to let them do it!!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

well std downpipes from kwakker are £586 a few years ago.............c'mon tell???
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

dynamatiz wrote:cheers rob

it is an expensive do, isnt it

am gonna try and weigh up he pros and cons, see a dont know wether to get a full system and save up for it, or just get a can that ll fit my downpipes, a know which will be the cheapest,
In the long run it might be cheaper just to get stainless steel pipes as they dont rust and, last a damn sight longer when you might just end up paying for a set when your standard ones rot through.

How about just a cheap end can to get you through for now and perhaps save for a nice new system in the future?

Shame you werent about the forum sooner i had a slip on can with a 30mm clamp, may have fitted, but you should be fine with one off another bike, i recon they all the same just have different fitting, i could be wrong tho.
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

ahh ok i dont feel too stupid, they're standard kwak.. i had a full service done as well for £700 :smt013 :smt010

you could have had a new full micron race system and a service for that money, never mind, next time i hope you will get advice from here first?
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

icklelea wrote:ahh ok i dont feel too stupid, they're standard kwak.. i had a full service done as well for £700 :smt013 :smt010
Holy mother of god!

I'd have sold the fuckin bike and bought a new one if i ever had to pay a figure like that.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.