MOT with rave can !!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mogas 64
My Bike: ZXR 400 L5 1999

MOT with rave can !!!

Post by Mogas 64 »

anyone know a sympathetic MOT tester that will MOT bike with race can on if i bring and show the OE one , i used to know one but shop has changed hands and dont do MOT s anymore, i,m in Leamington btw cheers
Screaming green machine !
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: MOT with rave can !!!

Post by masterofinsanity »

you could try Stealth in Redditch, tell him your a mate of mine and you wont need the original can
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zxr_oli
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Daytona 675

Post by zxr_oli »

Why not just put the legal can back on? It's a 5 min job :smt016
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

what race can do you have ? and is it INCREDIBLY LOUD !?

if it isn't marked "not for road use" then its down to the testers discretion as to whether or not it passes, ive had several bikes MOT'd with full race systems fitted, including my 600 which is so loud it burst my eardrum once and made me bleed !

all i do is sand/polish out the "not for road use" markings and trust that the guy doing the testing has enough common sense to realise that 90% of the bikes he gets in with quiet OE cans will have race ones re-fitted 30 minutes after the test anyway.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Sheldon motorcycles.

edit - oh, bit far from Wales.
One life, Live it!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

Scott221 wrote:Sheldon motorcycles.

probably, but he's in warwickshire ..
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

zimm wrote:

pmsl Scott you dick! :smt005
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
scooter916
My Bike: 2x zxr400

Post by scooter916 »

Ok here is another perspective,
I am a bike Mot tester, Now yes we all run race cans its the law...LOL
However come MOT time I put my standard can on to take the bike to work to do the mot test, WHY, simple really should Mr Vosa pop around to do a spot check( and they do) see that I have just passed a bike with a race can on it, guess what, I loose a serious amount of income and have 10grands worth of mot test equipment standing Idle, till I can get re instated as a AE.
What ZIMM has said is true regarding the NOT for road use stampings, However it is blatantly obvious to all concerened what is and what isnt a race can, The MOT testers Guide is not open to interpretation, The bit that follows the statement "not for road use" markings is followed by and makes no more noise than that of a std bike fitted with an original exhaust. So an hard of hearing tester will still be in the toad with vosa if he passes it.
So before you put the tester on the spot, Belive me I have had people beg me to pass their bike just because thay cant be arsed to do five mins work to put the std can back on, Why should the tester risk his livelyhood and possibly business to save you 5 mins work... And if all else fails and you dont have a standard can stick a DB killer in for a fiver,
Just my two penneth from the other side of the counter oldman
Glyn
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

well put mate ..

I've always been prepared to accept it with good grace if a bike fails for having a noisy can, but so far they haven't, and it's not because I rely on mates or a garage i have a decent relationship with to do the tests, cos i do 95% of the work on my bikes myself and the only time they are seen in a garage is for the MOT.

The one time i asked about it before-hand and offered to swap the stock system back on I was told not to bother, if it was offensive they'd have to fail me but i could bring it back the next day for a free re-test with the stock system on there. It passed anyway.

to be fair, a zxr400 with a full race system* is still quieter than a 916 with a stock system on it.

*not stubbied
Mogas 64
My Bike: ZXR 400 L5 1999

Post by Mogas 64 »

thanks for the input guys i have found somewhere that will do it with the "rave" lol can on i think as said most tester know that it will be changed back as soon as you get home, and i appreciate they have a job to do etc but its nice when you find somewhere that can accomodate you next up the MOT for the car !!!! oh well its only money !!
Screaming green machine !
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

masterofinsanity wrote:
zimm wrote:

pmsl Scott you dick! :smt005
Well I don't know what the f*** happend there, It looked like 'zimm' had made the post. This is what a week of no bike does to you... :smt017
One life, Live it!
thermal
My Bike: zxr 400 l8

Post by thermal »

as much as everyone seems to think, the MOT guy cant fail you for being overly loud. assuming all your exhaust system is e marked then youl be fine