Stopping down pipe rot!!

Moderator: Moderators

monkeyman

Re: Stopping down pipe rot!!

Post by monkeyman »

Cheers for letting me know about that spray guys. Seems like a pretty sound investment to keep a bike from becoming crusted in crap over the winter! And hearing about those pipe falling apart doesn't surprise me. I think they must have been trying to save money by not using stainless on the pipes. I'll just wait till they start blowing and then get a stainless system on there. Maybe a micron...
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

Well looks like i better start up a piggy bank for a new exhaust incase mine goes then :p
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
jack sharpezxr 400 L
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 L

Post by jack sharpezxr 400 L »

all exhaust rot inside out no mater what tou do its just condensation
ZXR4DAD
My Bike: ZXR400 L5

Post by ZXR4DAD »

They rot from the inside out due to condensation / water ingress mainly on the underside of the 'collector box area' (where they go 4 into 2 or 2 into 1 areas).
Ways to make them last longer are not to do short journeys or when washing your bike don't get water down the end can, if you do then fully heat up the engine / exhaust before switching off.
If you stand your bike over night put a cover over it to stop rain entering the end can or If you do not use the bike for a while and it is stored in a shed or garage where it is cold / damp (ie atmospheric condensation) then put a plastic bag over the end can & seal it all round with electrical tape.
You can buy stainless steel ZXR 400 downpipes for £150 (Delkevic brand) from DK spares - recommended.

http://www.dkmotorcycles.co.uk/dkonline ... uct_id=355

Or try Sandy bike spares 01767 682231 or the Delkevic web site.