Micron exhaust system

Moderator: Moderators

dower
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Micron exhaust system

Post by dower »

Has anyone got experience of fitting a micron exhaust system to a ZXR 400? Should I fit the down pipes first or connect the centre section (the bit with the 2 springs)? I bought the exhaust from ebay. It said it was fitted to a 1998 bike but mine is a L9 1999 bike. Should it still fit? or did the exhaust change in any way. This system is absolutely perfect and I can't wait to get it fitted so any help or advice would be appreciated. Pic attached. Thanks
micron.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Micron exhaust system

Post by masterofinsanity »

looks nice mate, it will fit all L models 1989 onwards.Scott has one on his i'm sure he'll be along to advise.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

fit the headers loosely, then pop the colector on.. much wriggling, twisting and swearing to get it all to line up is normal.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Edit- What he said^

God. The worst job in the world I tell you. First time I tried to fit mine I left the radiator on. Bad Idea. Just take it off, its easy anyway and gives you so much more room to move around. The best way to do it (in my opinion) is to put all four pipes in situe, then just nip up the exhaust stud nuts alowing you to move the pipes freeley but still being held in position. Then fit the link pipe.

You will need new exhaust gaskets and I would highly advise buying new exhaust studs. The first time I tried to fit mine, a corroded stud simply snapped in my hand leaving me with the other half stuck in the engine block. AKA An absolute fucking nightmare. Also, when tightening up the system, it does NOT need to be super super tight. The brakets bend and push back on the studs, when you see those brakets starting to bend, you know its on tight enough.

Where abouts are you?
One life, Live it!
dower

Post by dower »

Hi Scott. Thanks for the advice. I live in Wigan, Gtr Manchester. I spent ages last night trying to fit it without luck. Did you notice that the micron header pipes didn't seem as good a fit as the original system? I've got new exhaust gaskets. Do they flatten when tightened up as the extra thickness pushes the header pipe flange away from the block. And I thought this was going to be an easy job. lol
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

What did you struggle with, the headers will slot straight in, I noticed that not as much went into the engine as with the old stock system if thats what you mean. If you were closer Id come round and help you out mate, but manchester is a misson! Its not a difficult job honest, its just very fidlly.. have you taken you're rad off? Yeah, the gaskets will settle in when tightened and hot etc.
One life, Live it!
dower

Post by dower »

The thought was nice. Yes I've removed the radiator to make room. I'm taking your advice and I'm going to replace the exhaust studs. How did you extract them? I've tried the two nut technique that I found on a post on here but it didn't work. When it's fitted will I have to remove the exhaust for the mot? and will i notice a difference when riding?
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

dower wrote:The thought was nice. Yes I've removed the radiator to make room. I'm taking your advice and I'm going to replace the exhaust studs. How did you extract them? I've tried the two nut technique that I found on a post on here but it didn't work. When it's fitted will I have to remove the exhaust for the mot? and will i notice a difference when riding?

Good move with the studs. Removing them is simple, get two bolts and nip them up to each other, then get two spanners and thighten them against each other (turning the first nut clockwise and the second nut anti-clockwise), then simply use the same spanner on the rear nut to undo the studs. Like I said, they will be corroded, therefore its a good idea to coat them in wd40 and leave it for a few hours. Mine came out easy enough.

The can you have is road legal, if you look on the rear it will be stamed with an e-number. When the Micro is fitted, you will notice alot more midrange power, It will also rev abit cleaner.
One life, Live it!
dower

Post by dower »

I love this forum. I'll give them a spray now. I did notice that the can has "not for road use" stamped on the underside of the outlet and when you look through it there is no baffel just daylight.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Oh right... I thought those cans were legal. Most MOT places don't care about exhausts anyway unless they are stupidly loud (like mine :D).

Good luck with it, let us know.
One life, Live it!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

attack the "not for road use" stamp with a file and some wet n dry then polish it out... micron systems arent that loud and ive had several bikes fitted with them pass an MOT
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

If you spray the connecting pipes with wd40 it'll allow you to twist and wiggle them into place alot easier.

It smells great when it burns off too :smt001 and leaves a protective film that'll make it easier to clean after the headers get covered in winter crud.
jack sharpezxr 400 L
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 L

Post by jack sharpezxr 400 L »

ive got a blow from the exhaust right bng in the middle under the bike its been welded before whats thebest exhaust for the zxr.cheers
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

jack sharpezxr 400 L wrote:ive got a blow from the exhaust right bng in the middle under the bike its been welded before whats thebest exhaust for the zxr.cheers
double post...
Last edited by Scott221 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One life, Live it!
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

jack sharpezxr 400 L wrote:ive got a blow from the exhaust right bng in the middle under the bike its been welded before whats thebest exhaust for the zxr.cheers
Micron system is the one of the best and most widley available (ebay every now and then) But the Beet systems is the top draw for the zxr.
One life, Live it!