Restricted but confused

Moderator: Moderators

UK II Kazawacky
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1

Restricted but confused

Post by UK II Kazawacky »

Hi guys, my bike won't rev over 9.5k and won't go over 85mph.

I bought the bike competely unrestricted and put the carb restrictors in myself, why won't it rev up to the redline? there are no other restrictions on the bike as far as I know, any ideas?

Cheers, Nick
Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Restricted but confused

Post by CaNsA »

Hiya matey.

In the same section that you posted this thread in there are three topics that will help you,
In particular the 3rd one from the top.
De-Restriction Method #1 - Clock Tab Mod
which will give you all the info you need,

this is a guess as i went on the information you have provided.

Cheers

CaNsA
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

if it was totally unrestricted when you got it..........did it rev to the redline before you put the restrictors in?will it rev past 9k in lower gears before 85mph?.........maybe it could be that the inlets where you have put the restrictors needs sealing up as they can cause airleaks, causing poor running
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

extonyg wrote:if it was totally unrestricted when you got it..........did it rev to the redline before you put the restrictors in?will it rev past 9k in lower gears before 85mph?.........maybe it could be that the inlets where you have put the restrictors needs sealing up as they can cause airleaks, causing poor running

My thoughts exactly.....................

Was the bike running ok reving out properly...............before you fitted the restricters ?
UK II Kazawacky
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1

Post by UK II Kazawacky »

Cheers for the pointer CaNsA, but my bike isn't an import, I don't know whether that info makes a difference or not.
will it rev past 9k in lower gears before 85mph?.........
It revs up to about 9.5k in 1st and 2nd, there seems to be no power after 8.5k in the rest of the gears so I don't bother going past 8k.

There were a lot of problems with the bike before I fitted the restrictors, so I didn't actually run it, but I may take them out and try again, I put silicon grease round the restrictors and my dad said that would stop any air from getting in, he's been riding and maintaining bikes for 35 years so I just went by his word as you can imagine.

I've just balanced the carbs and put new spark plugs in, it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, it runs smoother at idle but still doesn't rev past 8.5k
Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement.
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

after time and with the heat 'silicon grease' will just disappear needs to be a 'silicon sealant' of some form......on the mounting faces of the restrictors to the head mainly and make sure the inlet rubbers are ok.a good way to test this is when the bike is running spray some carb cleaner or wd-40 of some kind around the inlets and if they are 'leaking' or letting air in the idle will change.
you say the bike had alot of problems before you fitted the restrictors.........what like???running problems???have these now been rectified?