Restriction just appeared.. :S

Moderator: Moderators

shredtheibanez
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Restriction just appeared.. :S

Post by shredtheibanez »

Okay, firstly i have seen all the information related to this post i was just unsure of the reason for this:

Okay so i have a h1 400 with home made 33bhp restrictors. I've been out with it for the last couple weeks and worked through all the bugs (after a rebuild).

My question is this,
Before yesterday i could take the revs all the way through to 15/16K now, as i remember, after washing her quickly, now can not get over 10/10.5K, limiter...

Now looking around i have read that the CDI can, for some reason, go into default mode.. Is this correct?

My bike stands with a MPH clock 'face' (although the odometer (mileage) is in KPH - Very confusing until i worked it out) - it still has the same 'power' just will not fly over 10ish K.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Ryan
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Restriction just appeared.. :S

Post by cargo »

A restricted CDI goes into default mode the very instant that it is disconnected from the speedo.

So reading your question it would appear that your connection between your speedo and CDI has been broken in some way.

However if this is the case then you would have been riding a bike that was restricted anyway just by a different means and your top speed would have been 110 mph (approx) but at speeds below that your bike would have it's full power and rev to the redline.

So as ever to help find the problem we need to know some stuff

Which CDI box to you have ?
Which speedo do you have ? Does it have a little 3 wire black connector coming from it that plugs into the loom
Has the speedo restriction been overcome in someway (there are a number of methods for doing this)
Which method of overcoming the speed restriction has been employed ? (if any) The new fault could be related to this.

And just to be clear the 33hp restriction is in no way connected to the CDI or the speedo it is achieved by fitting restrictors in the inlets
shredtheibanez
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by shredtheibanez »

Hey thanks for the comment.

Right, just started her up, let her warm and then went for limiter.... its back at 14/16ish...? this is strange.

The reason i added about the 33bhp is that i haven't gone over 110 yet, not enough road. :(

My CDI:

Red label with a Big 'A'
21119-1271
131800-5240
Denso

Speedo:

3 Wires - Pink, Brown, Black/Yellow
The speedo face has been replaced with a MPH one however the mileage/trip still reads in KPH (previous owner possibly)

No evidence of de-restriction, Outside of this i have shorted the stand cut-out switch because it simply wouldn't idle at all when i had the stand down.

Any ideas?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

It could well be you have got some water somewhere you shouldnt have.

re side stand, is the connector plugged in at the clutch lever? That would be my first port of call.