First ride out :)

Moderator: Moderators

hudders
My Bike: zxr400

First ride out :)

Post by hudders »

Hi All zxr owners.

I passed my test last week, got me insurance today, and took the bike out for the first ride. Im in love :excited

Its got a "daytona progression" racing CDI thing that plugs into the actual CDI and has a cool on off switch, which definately effects the performance through the mid range and off the start. I think. More testing needed :smt003

But the thing still hits a rev limiter at 10,500 revs. Does this mean it still has a rev limited CDI in it I guess? Its a yellow sticker on it.

at 10,000 It starts hitting another power band but then wang wang wang.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: First ride out :)

Post by Mori Man »

Congratulations hudders !

The Daytons should have taken the speed limiter away - it sounds like the wire (block connector) into the clock is disconnected. Having never experienced the speed restriction I unplugged my red rev box a few weeks back and regular as clock work each gear it kicked in at 10,000 RPM and by the time I was in top it was / could only do 180Kph.

So it sounds like your CDI isn't getting the signal from the clocks so is defaulting to this setting , it seems the Daytona cant counter act this but does change the mapping of the CDI :smt017 :smt017 sure it isnt a placebo effect? You want it to work so it is - have a look around the back of your clocks for any loose block connectors.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
hudders

Post by hudders »

lol placebo effect... yep could well be to me at the moment whenever it starts pulling it feels like scotty is down there goin for warp 9.

I will check the clocks for any disconnected bits.. is there a thread for that? lookin now
hudders

Post by hudders »

I have taken some pictures mori I guess my CDI is a restricted yellow one. The daytona thing is a cdi "progressor". So i guess it should be the thing that sorts out the CDI limiter. But your saying theres a plug that may be unplugged behind the Clocks? I cant see it so im a bit stumped. Should I just get a blue uk CDI and job done? Mines a jap import. serial on that cdi is 21119 1394

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Try unpluging the Daytona and fit loom directly to CDI - go for a blat and see if it will go above 10K , if all is OK you should be speed restricted to 180Kph then you know that little box is shagged.

Either a UK CDI or another limiter off box will soon sort it that being the case.
hudders

Post by hudders »

done, revs all the way up. Feels a bit boggy low downcompared to with the Daytona on it, but revs freely up to redline now. So i guess ill get me a blue cdi and then mess about with the onn off daytona switch to see whether i am dreaming the better curve which is a definate possibility. thanks for the info though mori man.
hudders

Post by hudders »

Just want to get some peace of mind....

Just bought this off ebay.. I think its a uk one unrestricted right? smiler

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

In case link duff, its got blue sticker and last 4 numbers : 1331
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats got L on it tho, might be ok. We know for sure the M is unrestricted, doesnt mean anything else isnt. but for 15 quid i guess its worth the chance.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Whatever one it is , it's NLA

So a bargain at 15 squibs :smt001
hudders

Post by hudders »

NLA?