rev limiter

Moderator: Moderators

mcollier
My Bike: zxr400

rev limiter

Post by mcollier »

bikes runnin brill, done a couple of track days on it now and i love it, cornering is fantastic just love goin round and overtaking the boys on there big bikes.
i still need help my bikes an 1989 h model and is restricted to 10,000 revs read on site that you can fit a resistor to over come this issue. i bought a cdi unit with a blue label but bike wont even start with this fitted guess i bought the wrong one. the clocks that were took off are kph with the pink, brown and yellow n black wires im just confused as what i can or cant do to rectify this problem.
doin donninington in 2 weeks time love to get it sorted for then can someone point me in the right direction
cheers mac
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: rev limiter

Post by cargo »

There are a number of ways to over come the 10K limit.

In you case the quick and easy way is to refit your speedo.................but leave the drive cable in the spares box.

You should have full 14K rev

The blue CDI you bought was prob a L model one I'd guess it wont work unless you also fit a L model rotor................but there may be other reason as to why it wont work
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

The M CDI doesnt work for H models. You could try a speed converter and use kph clocks.

Other option as you rightly said is the resistor mod.

Dont think you have much else choice other than replacing the entire loom for an L model one so the CDI works.
mcollier

Post by mcollier »

thanks for your replys guys will refit the speedo and see what happens cheers
mcollier

Post by mcollier »

hi guys just took out cicuit board from kph clock and rewired board back into loom.
guess what i now have full revs.
thanks for the advice cant wait now to get her on track at donnington. :excited
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

what you will find though, is that it wont rev out over 10k when you hit 180kph (110mph). Hence, you use the kph-mph speed converter and use the speedo in mph, since the clock wont get to 180mph youll never hit the limiter. This does of course, mess your mileage up
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Being a race bike I am guessing he doesn't care about milage, as long as he has removed the circuit board from the clocks and has the speed restrictor plugged in the bike will be full power - it will never trip the 180KPH sensor so its good to go all the way to the rev limiter well within the Red line just like mine :smt003

On a road bike and as long as you don't care about knowing what speed your doing then Cargos tip about removing the speedo worm drive will work too :smt004

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
mcollier

Post by mcollier »

once again guys a big thankyou,
i have took out the cicuit board and fitted it into a small plastic box for protection and yes your right its my track bike so no speedo or milage clocks fitted luckily had the original kph clock in garage
cant wait to get it on track to see what difference it makes.
cheers guys