Help me with my wiring derestrictions!

Moderator: Moderators

JoeZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400SP

Help me with my wiring derestrictions!

Post by JoeZXR »

Been stripping the bike today to check for restrictions that are making it top out at 110mph and iv came the the conclusion that it is a wiring issue, iv read the resistor derestriction sticky but am still confused as to what i actually have too do!

iv taken a few pictures of all the possible restrictors, just so i can have a second opinion and allthe wiring just to see if you lot can spot anything wrong? cheers!

no exhaust washers

no carb gasket washer plate thing?

not sure if this gap is effecting anything?

now all the wiring! iv taken pictures of everything even though i dont know what half of the things are lol

also can someone tell me what these raised holes are for? breathers im pressuming?

this ones the the rear top of the engine

any help please! thank you.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Help me with my wiring derestrictions!

Post by cargo »

so far I'm not seeing a SP

CV carbs so not SP flatsides

Yes that is a breather on top of the engine

it connects onto the bit of pipe on the airbox

There is at least one airbox bung missing so that you are drawing unflitered air
I would guess you also have other airbox sealing issues

the engine is flithy................suggesting a serious lack of maintainance

That looks like a UK unrestricted CDI box which would suggest that you do not have a factory restriction problem
however is it correctly matched the correct rotor ? assuming tht it really is a SP motor................something I very much doubt
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

hmmm, well maybe an sp engine but normal carbs? i was shown the donor bike the sp motor came out of which was engineless when i purchased this one and also shown the blown up normal engine haha so im sure it is

okay so i should link the two holes together?

that doesnt 100% mean lack of maintenance, its a 20 year old bike that hasnt been cleaned very often, nott many people i know clean there engines at all

what is this airbox bung you mention? and i have no idea what a rotor is, like iv mentioned before i dont have a clue what im doing lets say its not an SP motor what advice canyyou give me for a normal motor?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

there are two access holes in the top of the airbox that allow for removal of two of the bolts that hold the airbox onto the carbs these holes should be blocked off with small rubber bungs.

This is very simple stuff I'm having to explain

The basic principles are the same no matter if you have a SP or regular L model engine.

The ignition pick up rotor is that device that trips the pick up and informs the CDI of where the crank is...............

Frankly given all that I've seen the man who sold you this bike had big windows cos he seen you coming.
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

okay ill duct tape over the holes, iv just stripped the whole airbox and alot of the small gasket type things are rotted and the air filter clogged! cleaned it all up and used gasket sealer and taping over the holes lets see if it solves anything!

ahh maybe :/ oh well, nothings fun if you dont get to fiddle with it! :)

okay its not simple for me because iv never touched a big motorbike before haha, well by the looks of the cdi and little boxes, should i not have one of these m max box resistor thingys?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I dont believe you need a Maxbox thingy

You would appear to have UK spec CDI................however I'm still at a loss as to how to explain the 110mph speed issues that you have

Restricted is defo the obvious answer but you seem to have the right CDI...............so something else must be wrong.

I would recommend a full and very extensive service
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

okay thank you for your help.

i have cleaned everything up, replaced little bits and bobs that were missing like the breather pipes and cleaned all the filters, ill have a go tonight and see what it does

if its still 110mph then ill take it to my local dynojet and get it serviced

one last question, next to the breather hole on the engine casing, there is a small hole with a M6 thread next to the breather hole, should this be covered and what is it for?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

The earth lead from the battery is normally bolted on there
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

if you want a dirty engine take a look at my (now ex) 'manky' bike lol. has somone played about with the carb internals? changed the jets ect? thats about the only thing i can think of really, apart from whats already been said.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

It wouldn't exactly take a lot of time to take the rocker cover off so that you can see the cams in your supposedly SP engine with the CV carbs. If they don't have timing adjustment facilities you've been ripped off, you've got a stock motor. Anyone who knew what they were doing (which you admit you don't) would have wanted to see the engine with the rocker cover off before parting with cash.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

i was not ripped off at all like i payed £1200 for the bike which is in mint condition and it turns out the older sp motor was replaced with a standard engine and carbs, doesnt bother me lol just thought it was an sp thats all
syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Post by syihabuddin »

Did you get it sorted out?
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

syihabuddin wrote:Did you get it sorted out?
nope :/ still tops out at 110mph

iv read the stickies but they dont make it clear for what bike is which method...

all i can gather from the stickies is that for L models you just whack a CDI on and it should be derestricted?

but i did a gps with my speedo cable in and it showed 108mph and brickwalled and then i tried with my speedo cable off and it showed 114mph but i ran out of "private" road but it still felt like it was pulling, so i dont have a clue what im doing now confuddled
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

carbs, its always carbs...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

banner001 wrote:carbs, its always carbs...
They have been cleaned and balanced mate :/ I think it's an electrical restriction from my speedo