derestrictor ???

Moderator: Moderators

dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

derestrictor ???

Post by dynamatiz »

hello peeps

right a think av got a problem, well a know a have a problem but bare with me as am not the most techinically minded

in the quest for more speed, ive been thinking my bike is restricted, as it wont get over 110, av tried another cdi box that a bought and that caused it too over rev and cut out when coming to a stop

so i put the old cdi back in and it was back too plain sailing, just not at the top speed!!!

thing is that ot me confused is that it revs right up too 14 000 revs with my normal cdi in, but doesnt go ove4r 110

so a phoned the lad who had the bike before me, and he said it was the little red box behind my speedo that was doing this, so he says take it out and a will notice the difference. so a took it out and it only goes to 12000 rpms now, then hits a flat spot ???

ill take a pic of this lil red box, so you can all have a look but it has got my head in bits totally, i also asked him if i would need the carbs seetin up again and he said no a wouldnt

so can anyone shed some light on this for me please ?????
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you seen the feature on the speedo?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Oshar
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Oshar »

It’s a restrictor in the Speedo. When you hit a certain speed, it wont go any faster. I thought it was closer to 115mph (but your Speedo is prob kph right?).

Now what I’ve done is simple, I got a kph to mph converter and fitted it to the speedo. Now, when I hit 140kph (its mph really, so you can remove the silly speedo overlay sticker) and I don’t go near the limiter any more.
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

well a did have a kph speedo then a put an mph one in there and its still the same

seen the feature on speedos but mine is an l model a think the feature is on the h model ?????
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

masterofinsanity wrote:have you seen the feature on the speedo?

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

right guys ive taken my old l model speedo that is on kph

followed the article on removing the rev limiter to a t, nd sat here looking at it now and it has no metal clip that provides thst enables the restriction

so a imagine this will be the same on my mph speedo

so any ideas on what it might be then, am sure the speed is restricted on the l models by the cdi and not the speedo, as ive cracked my old kph open and there is no clip there
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

ok so you've ruled out the speedo, could possibly be in the cdi or carbs, as far as i am aware there's only 3 types of restrictor on the zxr400.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

the obvious UK restriction is carb washers
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

hmmm am not sure which one it is am not the most technically minded ya see

a bought a uk cdi before and plugged it in, but it caused me loads of problems when fitted, like when comin to a junction it would stall and cut out, takes ages to get running again as well, so i put my old one back on

could be that the cdi a bought of ebay could be faulty ???

a was told its should be plug and play straight away , is this right ?

or do the carbs need settin up again ?

or like you have mentioned, could be washers in the carbs , but like a said am lost with it

its a 94 l model, that has been imported , its green and white with purple and pink decals and has the ninja logo on the tale end
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

if its imported then its most likely restricted thru the speedo

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

Gemini wrote:if its imported then its most likely restricted thru the speedo

gem
cant be the speedo mate , i took the imported one off and replaced it with a uk one, also took the import one to bits and there was no restrictor there like in the article, cant imagine the uk one having one in there , am starting to think its my cdi