How do i remove the restrictors

Moderator: Moderators

ernie
My Bike: tomos moped

How do i remove the restrictors

Post by ernie »

Hi, new to this site and new to the ZXR400 fun machine thats sitting in the shed with the wireing burnt out under the rear shock (giraffe) just bought it
Any hoo!! :smt006

I was told it had been restricted but had been removed, propable bullshit as it runs like a bag of poo but I'd thought I'd ask and have a look

Any help

Thanks guys

great site
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

welcome mate

does it get over 115mph or 10k rpm ???

i ve just had a bout with de restrictors too, as far as i know there is a possilbe 3 that it could be(and this is probably all i know lol)

1. one inside the speedo( theres a article on removing it on this site mate)
2. cdi/ecu the little black box that is under the rider seat
3. couple of washers inside the carbs/downpipes

now am not sure which one yours could be cos a still havent found mine out yet, but am sure someone on the board will be able to help you out mate because there full of knowledge on zxr400's

hope this helps
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

1 thing i've never come across on this forum is if your bike has been restricted in the carbs do they adjust jetting to allow for the decrease in air/fuel flow? or is it the same mixture just less getting through??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

to be honest mate a havent got a clue, its just what a heard on one of the threads one here am probably mistaken like
icklelea
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by icklelea »

Id presume they adjust for it cos my bike went mad when i took mine out!!!
mongo

Post by mongo »

They just shove the restrictors between the carb inlet rubbers and the inlet on the engine itself (if its the 33bhp restrictiors).

No re-jetting is done, sometimes you can see the petrol sitting on the restrictor plates as its at an angle.

If you want to check, take the tank off then the airbox, open the throttle wide open and lookdown, if you can see something blocking it with a small hole in the middle, the restrictors are still fitted.

With these restrictors fitted there is no rev limit or top speed restriction (although it will take forever to accelerate past 120).
masterofinsanity wrote:1 thing i've never come across on this forum is if your bike has been restricted in the carbs do they adjust jetting to allow for the decrease in air/fuel flow? or is it the same mixture just less getting through??
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

but then if the same amount of fuel is getting through there must be excess fuel sitting around the restrictor plates which will flood the plugs ???
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
mongo

Post by mongo »

Nah theres not that much fuel, only occasionally will you see some on the restrictor plates.
masterofinsanity wrote:but then if the same amount of fuel is getting through there must be excess fuel sitting around the restrictor plates which will flood the plugs ???
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

masterofinsanity wrote:but then if the same amount of fuel is getting through there must be excess fuel sitting around the restrictor plates which will flood the plugs ???
if that happened, it would happen every time you ran on part throttle. the restrictor plates do exactly the same thing as a part open throttle.

if the carbs are properly adjusted, they should put the right amount of fuel in for the amount of air that is going through.

or that's what I think anyway...
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits