33 bhp restriction

Moderator: Moderators

mukka

33 bhp restriction

Post by mukka »

does anyone have any experience of restricting just using a throttle stop / limiter,
jack_zxr
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Re: 33 bhp restriction

Post by jack_zxr »

im not sure if/how you do it for zxr's but I would like to know too.. im trying to restrict my zxr
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

why would you want to?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
jack_zxr

Post by jack_zxr »

because ill be on a restricted licence
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i meant why by a throttle stop, there are washers for the zxr400 to fit under the carbs or get a restricted CDi.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Or just pretend...
One life, Live it!
jack_zxr

Post by jack_zxr »

cant find the washers anywhere and dont wana pay 235 quid from a shop for washers and fitting
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

The dimensions for the washers are on the forum somewhere, so if you can't find a set to buy you should be able to get a local machine shop to make you up a set to those dimensions. Should be pretty cheap.

I know of someone on another forum who had a different bike restricted using a throttle stop. Basically what you need is a bit of tube that will fit over the throttle cable inner at the carb end which you can cut to an appropriate length so it prevents the throttle opening beyond a certain point.

The tricky part is that to determine what length it is, you will need to have the bike on a dyno and do it by trial and error - longer tube gives less throttle opening and hence less power. Unless you are planning on doing a dyno run anyway it's probably cheaper to get a set of inlet restrictor washers made up.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

Or check on Ebay. I got my washers for .......
wait for it.......

£25.

The fitment of them wasn't too expensive either, really....

As far as my two bits about throttle stops goes, it sounds pretty shoddy. It sounds like a lot of guesswork to be viable as an easy option and also as an immediately discernable legitimate restriction method.
It also sounds a lot less fun. Who wants a throttle, that you start to wind on only to go 'oh.' when it stops. No matter how much power is under it, I reckon it's still more fun to be able to wind that damned thing all the way open.

*Edit* I suppose technically it was more like £28.50, after postage is included.
*2nd Edit* The guy I bought my washers from went by the Ebay name of 'fb893'. He may have more in the future, or it may have been a one off. Either way, I figured it can't hurt to know.
Vard.