Redline Problems

Moderator: Moderators

Flappy
My Bike: 1990 ZXR 400

Redline Problems

Post by Flappy »

Would someone be able to help please. I bought my bike pretty much stock, other than a Scorpian exhaust system and if I am right, the bike has a SP engine replacement due to the original engine being blown. As I only use the bike for Sprinting and the first time out on it was at a 1/8 mile sprint, it was not rode to its full potential.

I rode at Weston Zoyland yesterday in Somerset which is a 1/4 mile strip. The bike is hitting the limiter at 10k instead of redline 14k. The previous owner of the bike was also there and She said there must be a problem because when She rode it, it always went to 14k.

What have I done to my bike :smt010 , all I have done is changed the front sprocket, from a 17 to a 14 tooth.

Please help :smt001

Regards
Sean.
Searching for the perfect grin, or at best, a toothless smile.
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: Redline Problems

Post by extonyg »

what bike is it?imports are restricted to 10k, what cdi do you have on the bike?
Flappy

Post by Flappy »

Not sure on the cdi.It is a 1990 H2 but the original owner said she had it revving to 14 before selling on to me so now I am confused :pmsl , which dont take alot :smt003
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

just because she said doesnt means it does, have a look at the sticker on the cdi that can tell you if its a restricted cdi im sure theres a thread on here showing all the different types of cdi, i think imports have a restrictor in the clocks as well or something im not quite sure though
Flappy

Post by Flappy »

True.

Cheers for that, now you mention clocks, it has me thinking. I removed the speedometer clock as I have no need for it in sprinting, would that make a difference? but I will check the cdi.

Sean.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

yes removing the speedo will make the restrictor kick in, well im 99.9% sure of it
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

lewisdale wrote:yes removing the speedo will make the restrictor kick in, well im 99.9% sure of it
Exactly. The 10k rev limit is a default setting if the speedo isnt plugged in to stop you doing more than 110mph, if your in japan anyway cos thats the rules! :D

What you can do is cut apart the clock and remove the speed restrictor circuit and plug that in in place instead of the whole clock. Might wanna wrap it in something waterproof tho. Heres what Baz did

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/revlimiter.html
Flappy

Post by Flappy »

^^ Cheers for the great advice. Really appreciate it....................................now what did I do with the speedo, I think I binned it :smt009 :smt010

I am now off to the wanted parts section :smt003
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

i think u can put a resistor inbetween the wires thatll do the same thing, redexrob is the man to ask
Flappy

Post by Flappy »

lewisdale wrote:i think u can put a resistor inbetween the wires thatll do the same thing, redexrob is the man to ask

Thank you :smt001