Wont rev past 10k

Moderator: Moderators

DannyMcCann
My Bike: (1990) ZXR400H

Wont rev past 10k

Post by DannyMcCann »

Bought another 400 to act as a stand in while my H model gets necessary servicing and repairs done to it :excited

This one also has a rattle unfortunatly but should be ok as a stand in for now. Now it was swapped with me as a full power model (apparently with an L5 engine). Weve checked the carbs and there are no restriction washers present, but it wont rev past 10k? Its also dog slow compared to my H2 through any revs. Were the later engines restricted in another way? Carbs seem to be opening up fine, fixed the air leak that was there (where the carbs were hanging off basically :wanker )?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Wont rev past 10k

Post by cargo »

Lets me guess it's an import and it's got a MPH speedo.................?

Look at the Igniter black box..............bet it has a yellow sticker.

Whats happening is that for what ever reason the igniter has gone into a default mode and that means ot wont rev over 10K
normally this is because it's not getting a signal from the speedo................so question is the speedo a KPH jap imoort one or a MPH UK one

And does it have a black connector that is either not pluged in OR simply not there at all.................
DannyMcCann
My Bike: (1990) ZXR400H

Post by DannyMcCann »

Now yes I was thinking its probably something to do with the speedo, remembered reading something about it on here! Its an import (in 1996, made 1991), but has MPH as its major measurement. Im not too sure what this igniter black box thingy majiggy is, could you describe a bit further what I need to look for and where cargo, cheers
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

dont no if your still having a problem as this looks like and old thread, but different cdi's are restricted.the cdi's and just under the seat have a look at what colour sticker is on it with what letter and we can tell you if its a restricted cdi.there is a thread with all the different types of cdi.
there is thread of ways to by pass the restriction if it is the speedo causing the problem, again there is a thread for this.